Skip to content
A Hard Day
jenna12186 posted:
Today is a terrible day, pain wise. My head has been pounding all day, my shoulders ache and ive had the worst IBS symptoms. Sometimes it's really hard to cope, and today is one of those days. I dont complain much, ive been living with this pain for 7 years now but some days, the worse ones, it really gets me down to the point of tears. so im hoping by starting to turn to these discussion boards, itll help..having others understand and talk to me. Does anyone else have bad IBS and migraines with their fibro?

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

Sorry you're having a rough day. It's hard when most of our days are already difficult to have an even harder one!

I have migraines and I had quite the epiphany this year: migraines can be treated! I am so used the the FM "you just have to cope with it, there's not much we can do" thing from doctors, I didn't even think about seeking treatment for the migraines.

Maybe you've tried it, but I have a prescription for the abortive migraine medication imitrex, or the generic, sumatriptan. It usually works for my migraines. And mine always include extreme neck/shoulder pain and it usually clears that up too. They've found that migraines can cause pain to spread into the neck and shoulder or visa versa. It's not a medication you can take a lot. Taking it more than a couple times per month can cause rebound migraines.

There are some preventative things for migraines too. One is to take 500mg of magnesium along with 200 mg of B2 (riboflavin) per day. A neurologist said it can take 6 months for this to kick in as a preventative but it's not hard to do. A lot of us take magnesium already.

I still struggle a lot with headaches, though. I have almost constant tension/muscular headaches in the base of my skull/neck/face. But I have recently been reading up on trigger points and have found that there is one in the trapezius area that I think is a root of a lot of my problems. So I am going to pursue treatment for that.

Sorry again you are having such a bad day. We have been there!

--JR

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
Jenna, I hope things improve some. Will be praying for you.
Mary

fibroinsd responded:
((((gentle hugs))))) to you Jenna...I hope you feel better..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

dollbug responded:
Hello jenna and welcome. MiMi in NC. I think we all understand just how you are feeling. We all have some good days and perhaps a lot of bad days. If you have not found help for 7 years now...then you should try to find a good doctor who knows about FM and how to treat it.

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask the doctor to check your Vitamin D level, if you have not already done so. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain (it did for me) and it can also affect other illnesses as well. It requires just a simple blood test BUT you must ASK the doctor to run it as it is not included or required in the normal blood work that the doctors do. (it seems like the insurance companies are a bit behind in times)

Yes, I think a lot of us FMers suffer with multiple health issues, such as IBS and migraines, to name a few. There are things you can do though that will hopefully make a difference in your pain level. I hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox*.....I am sure you will find some good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying yet. Do you use a heating pad on days like today where you are at the point of tears? I use mine almost every day. I have also learned (by accident) that if I use it around my neck area that regardless of where my pain is, the heating pad will help the pain. I think it has to do with our spinal cord and the nerves.

It is ok to complain....as we all have been there done that. The wrath of the dragon, aka FM, is a very mean and ugly illness to deal with each and every day.

You have found a good support group here. I am sure you will find lots of good information that you will find useful.

Hang in here with us....post often, ask questions and know that we are all in the same boat here. We are here day and night. There are some days which are slower than others....but know that we are here to help you in any way that we can.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

jenna12186 replied to Anon_10089's response:
Thanks for the advice JR maybe I'll try the magnesium and I'll have to see what the rheumatologist says next time I see him.

jenna12186 replied to missist's response:
Thanks Mary! Its nice to vent and not be told I'm complaining too much!

jenna12186 replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks a lot Mimi! I've never heard FM compared to a dragon have I like it! I'm still down and out today and home..but hopefully I'll be on the mend here soon! (Currently laying on a heating pad!)

annamarrs responded:
I have very bad bouts of IBS with my Fibro. I have also had migraines since the 6th grade. I learned about a year ago I am allergic to eggs and caused me to have severe digestive issues when I eat them. I also have digestive issues during my period each month. I am looking into having an endometrial ablation to avoid all the issues I have during my periods. Some of the things I have done to reduce my pain which became a daily occurrencefor me was going on a gluten free, dairy free diet. In addition my doctor put me on Cymbalta and gave me a break through pain med and a muscle relaxer to help with night time pain to help me sleep. I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.