Skip to content
Fibro Issues
ninalee14 posted:
This is just going to seem like one big complaint but, ugh, I need to get this out there.

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibro and I'm pretty sure I've been fighting it (unknowingly) for 2-3 years. I'm currently taking Gabapentin for it and I am slowly increasing the dose (via doctor instructions) to see if it gets any better. The first day I took it, it was shortly before bed and I woke up feeling AMAZING. I almost cried. Well, that was a few months ago and I haven't felt it since....even with the increased dose. Lyrica is out of the picture cause it'd be $100 a month. Might be switching to Cymbalta in the future.

As of right now though, I am so stiff, I have a hard time sleeping and when I do get to sleep, I wake up numerous times during the night cause I'm just so damn uncomfortable! Stiff, achy, weak muscles, exhausted and I need to find relief fast or I'm going to go CRAZY!

What can I do!? I had my first appointment for acupuncture today (recommended by my doc) and I've always wanted to try it, but it'll be $55 a week, cant afford that. Massage might be out of the question too cause its also costly.

Any ideas?? It'd be greatly appreciated if you share!

missist responded:
Hi I use gabapentin. I have been using a higher dose at bedtime than in the morning. I'm not so stiff as I used to be in the morning. Now I also take celebrex--so that could be part of it. Its not for fibro but for arthrits. Sometimes we have more than one thing.

Gabapentin can probably use some help. Have you had Vitamin D checked yet? cuz that also helps some.

an antidepressant before bed too can help you sleep better and feel better.

maybe too take a look at the bed. Is it comfortable? you might want to add a foam pad to it-- the kind with the diamonds or points on the top is great. When I worked in nursing home we used to call them 'egg crate mattress' you just put it on top of the mattress, under the sheets.

makes it more cushioning.

make sure you get to bed early and that you are sleeping well--if you aren't tell the dr-- you need to.

Mary

ninalee14 replied to missist's response:
Well, I guess I should have mentioned that the Gabapentin doesnt make me tired...instead I'm pretty awake so I take it during the day.

I also have an antidepressant that keeps me up, so I take it during the day AND I have zolpidem (generic ambien). I take a half a tablet before bed (cause a whole tablet kind of weirds me and my boyfriend out).

Example though: last night, took a half a tab of zolpidem, still wasnt all too tired around 11:30 but went to bed anyways. Woke up at 2:30am, woke up at 4:30am and remained awake. I think its cause I took my Gabapentin after 6pm (Im having a hard time getting my 3x a day in, especially when Im at work),

My work schedule varies A LOT as well so I dont get to bed at the same time everynight. ie: monday 10 to 730, tues 8 to 330, wed 10 to 7, thur 3 to 11pm. Cant get a set schedule either

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.