Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP I HAVEN'T SLEPT IN FOUR DAYS AND NIGHTS I HARDLY EVER SLEEEP, I'M DONNA ELLISON FROM WINTERVILLE,GA..
donnajune2000 posted:
I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA, RESTLESS LEG AND BODY SYNDROME, SLEEP APNEA,TMJ,OTHER THINGS, LOTS ..MY DR GIVES ME AMBIEN ROZEREM8MG SHE JUST STARTED THE LAST I'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING BEFORE NOTHING LAST FOR LONG..I DON'T KNOW HOW I KEEP GOING BUT I DO......HELP!!!!

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

First, is your doctor aware you haven't slept for that long? He/she should know that and hopefully can give you something else to help, even for the short-term.

Sorry you're having a rough time. For sleep, I take melatonin. Many people will say they have tried it and it doesn't work. I find that they were maybe not taking enough. I take 10 mgs per night, along with another supplement mix that has valerian root, passionflower, lemon balm extract, and some others. I will also take benedryl on top of these if I need. Magnesium can be good as it helps relax muscles. That's me, though, and I'm not a doctor so if you try any of this, please don't just take my word.

I have had insomnia most of my life but have never taken prescription sleep aids for it. Those can be helpful but our bodies get used to them very quickly, so they are not usually good for daily, long-term use. I'm not against them and they are handy for temporary relief. I take the other stuff since I have to take something every night.

I don't really know what other advice to give if you haven't slept in 4 days. That seems like a bigger problem than we can offer solutions for here. The only thing I can suggest, and I'm sorry if it seems simplistic, is to go for a walk. Even a small amount of activity can help induce sleep. Don't worry about making it "exercise". Walk slow, at your own pace. Don't swing your arms, as that could cause more pain. Only walk for a few minutes if that's all your body can do. Mostly, enjoy the sky, trees, flowers, and fresh air. Hopefully, there will be a little sunlight where you are. Even that can help our bodies reset a little and aid in the sleeping process.

I hope you figure out something soon. Others will hopefully post suggestions. You can also read through older posts, as there is tons of information on this site.

I hope you get some sleep soon!

--JR

bette_kaffitz responded:
Donnajune,

It was 1990 when a kindly, old (and now retired) doctor gave me my first Rx for Ambien. Luckily, I put the cap back on before I took that little pill. Even more luckily, it was a Friday night so I could sleep what seemed like forever.

As you have probably discovered, Ambien is an amnesiac. You have no knowledge of the hours that have gone by since you took that little, white pill.

Unfortunately, like all good things, the time when Ambien works for you this well will come to an end. For this reason, I save my doses for the times I really, really, really need to get some sleep. If you reserve Ambien for your level-8 pain nights, they will still help you get a good night's sleep. You may even have slept your flare-up away.

There is one really scary thing about Ambien you should be aware of. Once the honeymoon stage wears off and you take a few hours for the Ambien to kick in (instead of a few seconds), you may find that you are sleepwalking. That's right, honest to God, get up and make yourself a smoothie (leaving the blender dirty on the counter) sleepwalking. My husband and son have both witnessed me doing it and having no recollection of what happened. For this reason, I always tell my husband when I take an Ambien--just in case I decide to go for a late-night drive. The newer, sustained release version is more apt to cause this. (Thank goodness for the generic, zolipidem! Only $5 co-pay and no sleepwalking.)

I hope that this medication works for you. Use it with care and be safe.

Bette

katmandulou responded:
Hi donnajune2000 ,

Have you spoken with your doc? She needs to evaluate you and see what's going on. Being awake for over 100 hours is not good (you know that, I had to say it). I hope you have someone to drive you, since you certainly can't drive in your sleep-deprived, panicky state.

My doc recommended melatonin, just one 3mg pill which works on the occasions that I need a little something extra. Make sure you don't have to be up early or at a specific time, lime for work.when I take one I always oversleep.

Do you meditate? It sounds like you need to relax, maybe get a cup of tea or coffee (decaf, natch!) or just some tepid water. Put on some soft music and get comfortable. Listen to your breath, how it sounds when you inhale, how it sounds when you exhale. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to block out any outside noise or spinning thoughts. ("I have to remember to call Sue"026", " I should buy some hard candy"026" that kind of thing). You might start to fall asleep while here - let it happen, and enjoy.
\
Before I go - make sure someone checks in on you from time to time. You don't want to be so "dead to the world" that you can't be roused.

Have the best day you can possibly have.
Lou

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.