Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tools for pain
melpom posted:
Checking to see what others use /do to comtol pain . Is there anything that works well ? Non-meds or meds? What type? Any info would be appreciated. I have been trying to control without meds. Wonder if a med would be best for me. I am very sensitive to pain medication. Any thoughts?

dollbug responded:
Hello melpom....MiMi in NC. I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements, plus using other tools as well. I tried several different kinds of medicines in the beginning....(no pain pills though) for FM...but I am also very sensitive to medicines and I did NOT find any which helped me without causing other side effects. So I did my own personal research and figured out what my body needed to help my pain. Am I painfree? Nope and I do NOT expect to be.....but I am so much better than I was in the beginning. It took me a long time to find the *right combination of tools* which finally worked, but it was worth it.

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked yet? If not, then I would encourage you to do this as soon as possible. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well....(it did for me.)

I take the following: Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (found at vitamin stores), a good multi vitamin plus D, Omegas, P5P (vitamin store), this one helps the lower back pain that I have. These are the ones which help me the most with my FM pain....I also use a heating pad every day. I have found that if I use it around my neck area that whatever pain I have this helps. I think this has something to do with the spinal area.

Now I also have to sleep in a recliner....(have done this since 2005)....this allows me to have less body pain, especially in my back area. I also use pillows as well.

I want to add that I have had other health issues as well...I have had 7 hand surgeries (2 of which was when I fell outside and broke both wrists, at different times, thank goodness. I have had cervical surgery and parathyroid surgery too. I also had right elbow surgery.

I would also like to say that doing research on FM, I have read that doctors do not normally prescribe pain pills for FM pain, since it is a chronic long term illness.

Whatever you decide to try, remember you should allow at least 6-8 weeks for it to provide the full potential of what it might do to help you, unless of course you are getting worse.

Drinking lots of water might also help you. Doing gentle stretching and/or gentle exercising might also help you as well.

I hope you find something soon.

Good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

melpom replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi, Thank you for all the info. I take several vitamins and supplements. I am trying to control FM without Meds. Some days I wonder if this is best. I know for me it probably is but I get frustrated. I'm always searching for more tools to use. Most of the time I feel overwhelmed with it all. Seeking knowledge, info, trying to maintain and function with a chronic illness is a full time job!! Add to that family and responsibilities and it sometimes is a bit much. This to shall pass. Today I will do the best I can. Thanks again for all the info. Hope you have a great day! Mel

booch007 replied to melpom's response:
Good morning melpom....In the begining of this mess it is common to want to get it away from you. Just be aware that pain is never gone, it is just lowered to a functional level.

To the right in resources we have a MEMBERS TOOLBOX it is a link to get to. In it are the tools we have found fix us. And eachday being different to help at times. It takes time and for me it was journaling my symptoms and triggers to SEE what was going on with me.

In a fast paced world at times we just "notice" the pain and issues once they are in motion, not what brought us there. So for me journaling helped me SEE.

I also like a recliner like mimi when I am in a flare or I have crossed the line so bad. It is using gravity to assist the body and you are not laying on any trigger point areas, so they are quiet as well.

So much has changed since I joined here, but a few things tried and true. I am still in pain and the toolbox I put together still works for me.

A memory foam topper was first thing learned here. I tossed all night and got poor sleep (a valuable commodity) You must work on the sleep issues first. Tissue repair and so much goes n in the body during the night. So see if you can get a topper.
Kohl's was my first with a coupon. Then Overstock.com got me my 6" one I have now. BLISS. (Makes it hard to travel and be in a real bed).

OK, look in the toolbox and see if the things there or stories match you. Look up to the right to discussions (more) and look for Dr. Pelligrino and absolutely READ his help. Amazing time while he was here.

All my best for you on this journey with us. We are open 24/7 and free what is better than that! Lean in and share, cry, question and tell a joke...it is amazing help from people walking the same difficult life.

Hugs from me, Nancy B

melpom replied to booch007's response:
Nancy, Thanks for the info. I don't have a recliner or a memory foam mattress. I might have to look into purchasing once my husband returns from deployment. With the dr. Appt's., vitamins, supplements, chiropractor, and massage the expense of FM is also a pain!! Those items sound like a Must. I do toss and turn at night from pain. Some nights are better than others. I take melatonin and it helps a little. If I nap during the day it is more difficult to sleep at night. If I don't nap my family pays the price with my irritability. Can't seem to win for losing in this game of FM. I will continue to try. Thankful for the day / weekend to have some fun with the kids. Windy and warm here in KS this weekend. Hope you have a good day. Mel.

dollbug replied to melpom's response:
Hello again....MiMi in NC...I just wanted to say that YES, FM puts us FMers between a rock and a hard place many times over. This is when we have to take a stand though and figure out which is more important and we also have to learn to say NO, I am not able to do that today, maybe another time.

I know this is probably hard to do with children....(I don't remember how old yours are, if you shared this)...but there are other things that perhaps you can do with them, which would NOT stress you out as much. We sometimes have to *pick and choose* what we are able to do and when. I also know that most of us, FMers, are use to having the A personalities and we keep going, kind of like the Energizer Bunny....but I can also share this with you, those days are mostly gone. If you push yourself, you will PAY for doing so. It is quite important to learn how to pace, pace and pace even more. It is also hard to *plan* things around FM...since we have no idea what is next.

Things will get better though as you learn more about it and find *the right combination of tools* which works for you.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

melpom replied to dollbug's response:
My children that are still at home are 10 & 11. Boy and girl so they are both involved in different activities. I do have a problem saying no to my immediate family. I had to start saying no to my extended family which was very difficult and more or less lost those relationships because of it. I am currently on my own until my husband returns in a few weeks from deployment. He has been gone for about 10 months. We will all be happy to see him return. I think my FM has been worse because of the stress involved with this. I hope it improves a bit with his return but I'm not counting on it. I have learned several tools this last year and continue to try and do the best I can each day. Trying to learn tp pace, pace, pace! Thanks for all your info and support. Mel

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.