Skip to content
Thursday ****5/18/2014 ****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily....MiMi in NC where it is going to be a HOT day today. It is already 60* and it is just after 6. OMG....it is going to be like a *summer* day. (close to 90*) I had hoped we would have a very long mild spring...weather that one can really enjoy...not too hot and not too cold....just right...kind of like the story of the 3 bears. Oh well...it is what it is.

Here is hoping each of you had a restful and peaceful night and that we all will have a nice day today, with little to no pain.

Funny just how children change like the wind. My GS slept a bit over 2 hours yesterday. He had a very short nap in the early morning but it did not last long. After he ate though he decided it was time to nap. He was also in a very good mood. He is a sweetheart for the most part. I love, love my grandchildren. I laugh though as they are NOT like my own in many ways. One of them refused to take a bath. I could not even believe this. My children got at least 1 bath every day, unless there was a really *good* reason that they didn't, which was NOT often at all. Sometimes they got more than one. It would depend.

Children are not how they use to be and I have a hard time trying to understand this. Is it the times or what? I often think that perhaps it has something to do with children being raised in single parent homes. So much going on these days with young children. I am a member of a group which is trying to get some laws changed in NC...for the sake of our grandchildren.
I am not sure that the modern day technology is so good for these little ones. I guess time will tell though.

OK...enough on my soapbox for today.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find some good *info* here. Learn all you can about what others have found that has helped them cope better. It does take time and effort to find the *just right combination of tools* that might work for each of us. I have found that the more you learn about dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...the better you will cope.

Perhaps one of the best tools is to keep a journal of sorts so you can actually *pin point* what might be causing more pain. Just jot down your activities, what you eat and your pain level....perhaps any sort of strange things going on as well. Soon you will see a *pattern of sorts* which just might help you figure out what is going on and why.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is a good thing as well. Once we have been *blessed or cursed* with FM...our life changes. So much to figure out.

Vitamin D....be sure and speak to your doctor about getting this checked. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. If you find that your level is low....remember it will take time and maybe lots of it to get it back to within the *normal range*...which is a wide range. So what range is good for you....well, it can vary as well. Again, this can take time and effort and you should also remember to keep tabs on this as well.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Have a great day.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

mnjeepguy responded:
Good afternoon MImi and all. It was supposed to storm all day today and it must have dipped south because we didn't get a drop of rain after a quick boomer went by last night. It is plenty wet here for now.

Work was alright. I did get to work standing and sitting today. It was mostly a thinking day not a labor intensive one. I still achieved some goals without breaking a sweat. I take a few bad days here and there but they average out to pretty decent. It is getting harder and harder to do what I do but I will do it as long as I can. I am hoping summer will give me a much needed boost.

Bette made me laugh with the teenage cows as well. I am sure it's a pain to deal with though.

My youngest brought a remarkable midterm report home that was all A's with two A 's. I was a bright student I think, but never applied myself enough for A's. He scores high in state testing as well. It will be interesting to see where he goes with that brain of his.

I can't wait for tomorrow's work day to be over. I am just waiting for the weekend, very impatiently. Take care everyone. I hope you have a good night.

Cory

mnjeepguy replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Two A plusses that is, proud papa.

bette_kaffitz replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Cory, you must be extremely proud of your son. If he continues to excel, you will be amazed at the options open to him in this life. Students who have the combination of raw ability and the willingness to work hard can accomplish anything. Really!

Those who continue on this path do not need to worry about where the college money is coming from, either. I'm sure that this will be a blessing for you and your wife.

Now, let me give you a little preparation for what MAY come at some time in your son's future. No one is perfect. We all have strengths and weaknesses. There may come a time when your son encounters a course that is far from easy for him. (Mine was freshman typing.) No matter how much time and effort a student may put into this endeavor, he may never do well. If this happens, please let your son know that this is something that happens in life. He should do the best he can with a reasonable amount of effort. Then he should accept that he will not be getting A's in that subject. Don't let him be discouraged. Do not let him feel as this is a failure. In reality, it is a valuable lesson. He now knows more about himself and his natural aptitudes. He will be more tolerant to those who do not do as well as he does in those areas where he excells. And, like me, he will be able to rule out certain career paths. (I knew for a fact that I would never become a secretary!)

Sometimes, those who breeze through life with no roadblocks have no idea how to manage them when the eventually appear. Be there for your son to help him manage his and to learn from them.

Teach him also that doing something that does not come naturally to him may pay off later in life in totally unexpected ways. (Boy, am I ever glad I took that typing class--even with it's C- that pulled down my GPA. Without it, coming here would be a chore instead of a joy. Mind you, it took 55 years for me to get to THIS point in life.)

Bette

P.S. The teenage cows are out again!

mnjeepguy replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Very wise Bette. We praise good work but never push hard, we accept him for who he is. We remind him when he is good at something it's good to be proud but not to brag. If something is hard but you tried your best, that's what counts. He has other things that are very hard for him, mostly social. He also plays guitar and that was a big challenge. He does not give up though.

The older son is extremely good socially. Most of his teachers tear up talking about how sweet he is. He has a mild learning disability and works just as hard for C's. They both get the same praise from us. They are opposites and both great people. That is our main goal. I learned at a young age to accept our differences and to never expect more of someone than they are realistically capable of.

Thanks Bette.

Cory

rudyandirmouse replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Cory, you sound like one very proud dad. And as a one upon a time teacher of middle and high school students
( retired now from education ) I can tell you that getting high test scores on State tests is really impressive.

And I used to love to read the mid term papers. I loved to see just how much each student had retained from their studies, but more so to see where they went with the topic information the had researched.

I'm glad you're proud of your children's work. It's so good to hear from an involved parent. I worked in inner city schools in Los Angeles,CA and I had so many parents who just could have cared less about their children's progress or school work. So many were never involved in what was going on in the classroom. Never came to a single parent/ teacher conference unless it was held in the Principle's office after a call from the office was made.

I would take the time and effort to call the home's of the under achieving students in classes, or one's that were struggling, at night on my own time, to try to discuss their child's work with their parents and would be told, not to kindly, not to bother them at home again. " Send home a note! " Even notes didn't do any good.

Used to break my heart during the 2 Open House events during the year to have only a few middle or high school parents come to see their child's work. Many were bused in from 15, 20 miles away was always the reason given for lack of parent involvement. Tables with student's work set out so nicely by the student's were left to be removed by them the following morning and put into folders or boxes to be taken home.

It's so good to know their parents out their like you Cory, makes my heart happy.

Gentle hugs, Linda R

Gentle hugs,Linda

mnjeepguy replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
Linda,

I am as involved as I can be, momma is a huge help. It IS sad, I have friends who let there children do anything they want. They are up all night and sleep until noon. They have every device you can think of and internet anytime.They are failing all of their classes and blame the school. Really? My kids go there and do just fine with the same teachers. They say they have tried everything yet their children are never parented. I feel bad for the children. They are good people who are going to have a hard life.

I don't allow any internet access during the school week. Unless it is needed for school it's off limits. Kids are too plugged in these days. We have a regular bed time as well, even on weekends, with reading before bed. They sleep better than looking at a screen right until bedtime.

I am no super dad but I will always be an active parent. Why have children otherwise? Thanks Linda R.

Cory

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.