Skip to content
Hump Day *****it is, it is *****5/14/2014
dollbug posted:
Happy Hump Day to you this morning. Can you believe May is almost half over? MiMi in NC where it is summertime weather. We are supposed to have showers today and tomorrow as well. Gosh, I hope spring time weather will return soon. I had enjoyed the warmer weather but when it got so HOT....my body did not like it at all. Hot weather is almost as bad as cold weather. I don't understand this at all....but I know I do not feel good.

My GS is such a good little one. It is funny as I always read just how much *sleep* babies need. Since none of mine ever got anywhere close to what I read.....I thought someone had to be wrong about this or perhaps they just thought babies got so much sleep. My younger son was the best sleeper and he did NOT sleep like his boys do. When my GS is ready for his nap, he wants to be put in his bed, with his pacifier and his *lovey*, which is a soft animal like cloth. His room is dark but he has to put his lovey across his face. I guess this comforts him. In the beginning this bothered me. But this is what he does. And he is so close to getting the many hours of sleep that I had read babies need, it is amazing. He is in such a good mood when he wakes up as well. Funny that these 2 babies are like they should be. My other grandchildren are not. They were blessed or cursed like my children were. What causes babies to not sleep? I have no idea.

I hope each of you had a good night's rest and I hope we will all have a good day, with little or no pain.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our support group recently. I am sure that each of you will soon find the *right combination of tools* which will may a difference for you. Learn all you can about what others have found that has made a difference for them. It just might work for you as well. Remember though that we, FMers, are all different and what works for one, may or may not work for another. You have to decide though what you want to try and if one thing does not work, then move on to something else. It does take time for our bodies to get the full potential of what something might do.....this is especially true about vitamins and supplements and medicines which you take. One should allow at least 6-9 weeks of whatever they decide to do.

Be sure and get your Vitamin D level checked as well. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. This is a simple blood test BUT you must ASK the doctor to run it....as it is not included in the normal blood work that they do. This is something that needs to be rechecked at least once a year, especially if your Vitamin D was low to begin with.

Do your own research about Vitamin D. You might be quite surprised at what the medical researchers have discovered about this and just how much it just might affect people's health.

Have a good day and remember to pace, pace and pace even more.....your body will thank you.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist responded:
Good Morning Mimi & all to follow! Mimi loved reading about your little grand son! Mine are here daily now-- 2 of them-- a girl and boy. almost 2 y/o boy and 3 y/o girl. It is a LONG day.. for a fibromite, but such a blessing. Keeps me going in every way I think. My gs sleeps under his pillow! when he is tired he will dig himself under a couch cushion sometimes too. So odd.

Well I had what I consider great news yesterday at my neuro apt. She did not give me another one of those awful seizure meds that I keep reacting to in one way or another. Instead she upped my nighttime dose of gabapentin. Since my seizures are nocturnal and partial-- (that's what they call the kind I have) gabapentin is also a good seizure med as well as an off-label fibromyalgia pain med.

so--- I now take 900mg at night and 300 in the morning. I am not sure if it will go up further or not. We shall see, I see her again in a month.

I like gabapentin because I am used to it, it does not have a lot of horrible side effects or dangers, it does make me sleepy, but since I take most of it at night--that's a good thing. I wake up with no drowsy after affects and its fine.

Anyhow I tried 4 different anti epilepsy drugs AEDs.. and every one of them was either awful or incredibly expensive. Gabapentin is so much better in my mind. and cheap.

So if this works to control seizures and also some of my pain--that's great.

As for cymbalta--I do not notice ANY pain relief from it so far. I think maybe it is helping with depression--but I would not say it is 'that' great for it--considering the price of even the generic is so high. I am not sure I will continue it at this point. I've been a little apprehensive of it since the start--so still pondering if I want to go to the next dosage or just stop it.

I miss the celebrex a little--but I don't miss the cost and I was not getting as much help from it as I used to. I have started to use Turmeric in capsules but so far (since saturday) I'm not feeling it is helpful either.

I think Mimi' mantra-- vitamin D is probably better than either of the last 2 things I mentioned.

Well -- other than that-I hope everyone has a great day!
Mary

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
Hi, Mary-

Please give the tumeric at least 6-8 weeks. I think it's one of those things that will take longer to work. My doctor also has be drinking hot water with fresh ginger in it. She says that can be good for inflammation too.

I hope the upped gabapentin works for you!

--JR

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
thanks JR--- I will do that. I have some fresh ginger here so will try that too--did she give you a recipe? Or just plop a little in there?
Mary

katmandulou responded:
Hi - Happy Hump Day!

It has cooled off here in southeastern New England, 68? is much better than the 85? that was Monday. It hit me hard, and I literally didn't leave the house yesterday, except a 5-minute 'business trip' with the dog. LOL

I'm losing the weight battle. I added 5# over the winter (no big deal), and another 5# since the kitchen debacle. (I lost 35# in 2012, and kept it off til last winter"026) I have to get back on the wagon for summer. I was going through some pics yesterday, looking at the 'fat' pics. Ugh, I don't want to go back there, so I'm hopping back on the eat less-move more wagon!

I'm thinking of trying magnesium - has anyone tried it? My plantar fasciitis is really killing me (and who wants to walk in pain? Not me!). I saw a video that says this method will "cure" your PF in one week, by stretching, massaging and taking three supplements: magnesium 500mg, vitamin B5, fish oil omega 3s. Have these worked for anyone else?

I've networked enough for the day, a quick visit with the FMily here, then I'm off to plan another afghan. I finished one yesterday; DH will run it though a rinse and dry cycle, then I'll wrap it up for one of my nephews. I did very little knitting last year (a year I could have seriously used the mental health benefits!), but I've already finished three afghans, countless scarves, and a dozen pairs of mittens. Yup, the knitter in me is back!

Wishing you all the best day you can possible have,
Lou

dollbug replied to katmandulou's response:
Hello Lou....I take the Magnesium Malate...not sure though I take that much. The bottle states 3....I take only one...otherwise I have issues. I use to take the Omega 3...I changed to Mega Red -3 krill oil- but I am going back when I finish this bottle....(I don't think it agrees with me like the Omega 3 did) B5...perhaps this is included in the Super B complex...I have not tried just the B 5...actually I have not even seen anything on this one. I'll have to do some research on it. I do know that my P5P sure helps my lower back pain.

It is another hot day here in NC again. Showers are expected though tomorrow and Friday. Maybe that will help cool things down. I am hoping it will be a nice week-end ....dry and cooler. I don't do well in the hot, hot weather either. Spring time did NOT last long enough.

Sounds like you have been busy knitting. I wish I could have a hobby like this but don't think my hands will allow me to.

I hope your kitchen gets completed soon. I know just how stressful doing this kind of project can be. Been there, done that. I broke my right wrist when my kitchen was being remodeled. My DH had to pack up the kitchen and there are still some things I have not found.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
Mary-

Yep, just cut a small piece off a root, and plop it in! It's pretty good and probably great for the stomach too!

--JR

mnjeepguy responded:
Good afternoon everyone. It is cold a dreary here. At my house it was in the mid 30's this morning but inland they had heavy frost. The cold is just lingering for a bit longer. This weekend we could see the mid 60's, our warmest yet.

I am a mess again. I was making good progress until our down day yesterday. This is when the mill is down for repairs. It ended up being 10 hours and it made a wreck of me. Some days I work harder than that and I am fine. Not today. My back is screwed up and everything else is cranky. The back is bad enough though that I don't notice the rest much. I am supposed to call and cancel my massage for next week. Seems counterproductive right now. I will try to loosen it up with Flexerill, heat, and stretches while I am home.

Mary, do you take Gabapentin only 2 times a day then? I can tell when mine wears off at about 3pm. I have found taking it all day, (3 times) balances me better.

To everyone, have a wonderful afternoon. Take care.

Cory

missist replied to katmandulou's response:
Lou--- Hi.. I've had plantar fascitis--at the time I worked retail. I cured it in less than 2 weeks by changing shoes. I changed to crocks -- althogh I'm not sure they are as good anymore.. but what you need is a radically different shoe with good arch support. Asics were good for me too.

Also--- lost about 10# when I was sick recently--but gained it back I think... so don't feel bad.
Mary

missist replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hi Cory---I will have to mention that to my primary dr. LOL. I'm wondering what the ins. company is gonna say bout 2 drs RXing the same med in different amounts. LOL
Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
Cory--- it does wear off at about 3-- so true.

katmandulou replied to missist's response:
I have a solid mass in my right arch, it's very painful. I also wear an elastic arch support every day, I need to get a couple new ones, they don't last forever.

My doc won't let me wear slippers, I'm that bad; I have an old pair of lightweight sneakers with my old orthotic inserts, and those are my slippers now. He also said no yoga, but I told him there is NO WAY I was going to give it up!

I usually get Reebok sneakers. New Balance opened an outlet and I bought a pair a few months ago, they're very comfortable. Of course, all my shoes feel the same with the orthotics. When I'm wearing heels (rarely), I also wear the arch support.
Lou

missist replied to katmandulou's response:
Lou---I've sometimes had good luck with Asics--and an arch support--I wear them too.

My arches kind of collapsed from pregnancies.

Mary

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.