Skip to content
I.B.S....med...question
fibroinsd posted:
So, I know many of us have had problems with IBS...Has anyone had a doctor prescribe Amitise (not sure of the spelling)? My dad has had a doctor prescribe it...and it sounds good...unless the side effects kick in..which seems to always happen..so just wondering what anyone knows about this..Thanks...cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

booch007 responded:
Good Morning,

Cece you knew I would chime in. I have seen a few patients on this. Seems like a cannon for Dad. (Instead of a pee shooter) When colace or pericolace may be better choice in elderly. No side effects and a standard in practice. Senna is another used for the constipation that develops. Relieve the constipation and the bowel become more regular. This is given daily.

Amitiza is a drug that increases motility by playing with the muscle channels in the colon. You have heard of calcium channel blockers.....they block calcium in the process of muscle contraction. This creates a slowing of the colon (though our effect we want is to dilate arteries for B/P) but the side effect is a slow colon, swelling in the legs.

Amitiza allows chloride channels to be more active and that gives more bowel function. Taking this pill though, will alter some other channels of chloride as well. In the elderly they don't handle things as well. Watch his urination and his sleep, it may, as happened to me with the alpha blocker....make it so he doesn;t empty his bladder as well (symptom will be leaking).

The elderly don't drink enough fluids for many reasons and Dad is he forgets I bet. So fibercon, metamucil and such are not used in them. BUT the senna and colace family are helpful and work only in the colon. Consistant passing of debris will help the colon settle as will eating better.

A challenging time in life. If you want to chat you have my FB message site or my email too.

Hugs from me, Nancy B

fibroinsd replied to booch007's response:
Thanks so much Nancy..I was hoping you had some insight..still not sure I understand it all...I will tell the caregiver to watch the urination...for sure..His primary doc has him on metamucil every day...should we stop that? The caregiver had had a bad problem with Sena in another patient she had worked with and didn't want to see Dad try that..I guess it went from constipation to diarrhea..We do work to make sure dad and mom are drinking lots of fluids..but how much is enough? hard to say with them..Dad has had problems with his urination too...and he sees a urologist for that..and they put in an implant...I just hope one pill doesn't fix one thing but start another problem..Thanks again Nancy for your input.

cece

fibroinsd responded:
Nancy...don't know if you will see this..but my dad was on this med for just a couple of days and his bp has dropped drastically...so we are taking him off of it..not good..cece

booch007 replied to fibroinsd's response:
No Cece it is not that bad. It is the componenet I feared would make his bladder not empty, he showed them outward with his B/P.

As far as senna, it is shame the caregiver had *a* issue with a client and makes that general rule now. In hospice it is the med of choice for the patients. How about colace 10mg 2 times a day and see if there is issue then 3 ties a day. It is just a sodtener and then peri-colace it's cousin is a laxative with it if things are slowing up.

Not expensive used widely in hospitals for the elderly.

Glad they are watched to eat and drink. HUgs from me, Nancy B

fibroinsd replied to booch007's response:
Thank you so much Nancy...we have been going through "heck" trying to get dad's bp back up...had to spend the night there last night...he was disoriented and low bp...I will mention the colace..thanks so much..

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.