Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro fog?
An_257391 posted:
Hi, I believe I've had FM for many years, but was only recently diagnosed. I've experienced cystitis, Reynauds, some fatigue- but mainly chronic pain. I haven't had much difficulty concentrating or "fog" issues. Today, I filled out a restaurant slip and couldn't add the tip to the bill. I couldn't add 8 plus 6. I thought and thought and couldn't remember what it was. I used my fingers, but the number didn't seem right so I did it again. I wrote down the second number that I got adding on my fingers. The waitress told me I had added it incorrectly and fixed it. This scared the hell out of me. I am college educated, have a doctorate. Math has never been my best subject but I can add 8+6, or I could til this am. I did have a bad day with fatigue and pain today. For those of you that deal with this, is this typical of fibro fog?

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. I do think some of us have issues with what is referred to as *fibro fog*....and yes I happen to be one of them. In the beginning it was really bad. I could not even keep up with paying bills. When I worked I disbursed millions of dollars from people's mortgage accounts....paying the taxes and insurance which were due. My job involved very detailed balancing. I have always been very good at math. I made good grades in school too. I use to enjoy reading. I can't do much of this any more either. It stinks.

I hope you will check out the info here on this support site under *tips* and *resources* and please review the *member toolbox* as well. I am sure you will find some good *tools* that perhaps might help you cope better with your pain. I wish I could say there is something that might help your fatigue as well, but I have NOT found this yet. I have been looking now since 2005. The doctors tell me there is nothing that will improve the chronic fatigue.....there has to be something though. (or so I think)

Have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked yet? This is really important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. You should speak to your doctor about doing this. You should also do your own research about Vitamin D as well. Medical researchers have discovered a lot of interesting things about just how important this is.

I do think that once you learn more about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....that things will improve.....it does take time and effort though to do this.

Hang in there. Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

An_257391 replied to dollbug's response:
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but this didn't really answer my question. Anyone else who deals with fibro fog care to weigh in as to whether what I've described is typical or has anyone else experienced something similar?

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

What meds are you taking? They treat the pain at times with central meds like SSRI's and SNRI's neurontin and elavil. These can fault your brain a bit.

I say I do not have FOG but I am 60 now and at times I am in "word loss" it kills me. I see what i want to say and it is not coming from my mouth. "I cry senior moment", "brain fart" or say that my hard drive is full and I need to get the disk keeper to fix the files in my head. But it is not comfortable.

I don't know your age or your medical story, but if this occurs again just get checked as a TIA (transient ischemic attack) can give you such a subtle effect and it needs to be investigated. There is also an amnesia thing that can happen, is transient and is disconcerting. It is a brain thing and it is chemistry driven.

Getting older is a transition for everything we own. Just knowing what is the cause of the episode is important, some there is nothing to do and others are your bodies warning of issues changing within you.

For me fibro fog is repetative and I see it as a med thing as well as the dragon, changing brain chemistry.
The doses of neurontin to help the pain can be altering in memory and function.

Don't be scared, you should bring it to the PMDs attention when you see him though. According to your age he may look at the meds you are on, take a look at the neck at the carotid arteries for plaque (normal as we age) if a little piece takes off this is the symptom you can have. And another may never give you trouble again.

So those are my ideas. Sorry you were embarassed. It is always awkward for me, I use humor to get through it.
P.S: My carotid is fine, and it probably is my meds and the plethora of information and "bals in the air" I juggle during the busy day. Never the less.....NO FUN.

Nancy B

dollbug replied to An_257391's response:
Hello again. Typical? I am not sure what is *typical* for people who have FM. I do know that most of us FMers have different symptoms to deal with. I do NOT think that FM affects everyone the same way. This is the same for *tools* that may or may NOT help someone as well.

Lack of concentration is an issue for some of us.....but whether or not to classify this as *typical*....I am not quite sure.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? If you are looking for a certain answer, perhaps your doctor can help you.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

An_257391 replied to booch007's response:
Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. I just turned 45, but I have had " senior moments" for years, so I can empathize! . They say it's a sign of intelligence, I'll latch onto that! I take vitamin d and synthroid and my recent levels tested normal. I'm on advair inhaler for asthma, Zyrtec for allergies, nexium for GERD, and sertraline for anxiety. I take a calcium supplement, precautionary for post menopausal osteoporosis, menopausal at 39. All these meds for a few years. I take 300 mg of neurontin 3 x daily, for past 6 months- but I often get busy and forget the mid day dose so it's consistently bid. I suppose it could be medication, as I take a lot, but with no recent changes I wasn't thinking that. I wasn't aware of neurontin affecting brain function, I'll have to see if it's better when I'm off of it. My dr is trying to get me on lyrics but insurance co is fighting us. I guess that's what I'm worried about is some sort of stroke or "pre" stroke event. I was hoping other FMers would say " that happens to me all the time" or at least that they'd experienced something similar, and I'd be less worried. Thank u so much for sharing your experience and insight.

kt7378 replied to dollbug's response:
Hi, As this happened in a holiday weekend I've been unable to speak to doctor yet, but certainly will. You are right, "typical" was a poor choice of words. I was just trying to ask if others had experienced something similar. Thank you

dawncostella replied to kt7378's response:
I do the same thing. Mine isn't always math but I have a hard time coming up with words I speak every day. I also slur my words from time-to-time. They have checked me 3 times for MS but my MRIs came back normal. Which I am greatful!!! It is just very frustrating to not remember what you know should be there. I would say try not to worry too much. I do think it could very well be FM. But if you think it might be something more, I would contact your doctor.

fiona__brigid responded:
I have this problem pretty often...especially with math and especially on bad pain or fatigue days.It's an odd feeling for me it's like you know the answer but you can't get it out(that's how it is for me at least).

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.