Skip to content
pet peeves
peaches321 posted:
No being able to compete thing that I start, like cooking supper. I get tired before I can finish.thank God for my sweet husband.
Trying to talk to people because I forget what I am saying.
Losing my adult children, who has no time for me because I get depressed and ask why they can not visit me.

bette_kaffitz responded:
Peaches, I'm with you. What happens with me--far too often--is that I force myself to get supper ready then I'm too tired to eat! I wind up going into the bedroom and collapsing. Well, that's one way to lose weight. (But not when I get up a few hours later and grab a bowl of ice cream.)

I'm supposed to cook for myself, my DH, and our older son who has his own home next door but eats with us. Every now and then, (every couple of months) he fixes a meal for us, but it's always something I cannot eat. (He fries everything! ) I have a hard time with fat. It makes me nauseous.

The fatigue is something that cuts seriously into our social lives. It is especially hard when a big event like a wedding requires an RSVP, but you have no idea of how you will be feeling.

Believe me, you are not the only one who has gone to bed leaving her hubby to entertain guests. I stay up as long as I can, but there are limits. Good friends accept this. My dear husband loves company. They love talking with him. They miss me, but they understand.

I think that your children have an inflated idea of what you can and cannot do. Ask them how much they enjoyed company (unless they were bearing chicken soup) the last time they had the flu. Most people can relate to that. Fibromyalgia is like having the aches and pains of the flu forever.

But, sometimes, you can take an early nap before the company comes. If a meal is involved, use your crock pot--with one of those new liner bags. Or have everyone bring one dish. Use paper or foam plates and plastic utensils. Just enjoy the visit without any of the fuss. You can't do this every day, but you can do it when you know the big family dinner would be just too much.

And don't blame yourself for your fibro. Would you blame yourself if you had diabetes? Or rhumatoid arthritis? You are not a shirker. You are someone with a chronic illness. Chronic means "for a long time." I think fibro is forever, but I hope I'm wrong.

But let's make our forevers a little better.

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.