Over it
An_256965 posted:
So I'm tired of hearing exercise it makes everyone with fm and osteoarthritis better. Well it isn't making me Ny better . I have a tad bit more energy but then totally feel like I'm going to pass out come late afternoon on top of feeling like someone punched me in the back. I'm still trying just over hearing you'll be fine just keep going it'll get better. Really it'll get better. Because you have it right and no what it feels like...o no that's right you read something over the internet that says exercise makes it better so that means it works for everyone....so sick of hearing this. Don't these people think if I could I would for goodness sake I had two younger ones and went all over everyday on top if working 54 plus hours a week now. With three younger ones I sweep and feel like I ran a marathon. I hate it.....

booch007 responded:
Anon,

We all hear ya! We agree, so many have voiced that same complaint. It sounds like you have alot of excercise in your days efforts.

To work is a bonus. I will add that while you are there, use the time to stretch muscle groups that get dormant. Like if you sit all day. Get up and walk every hour...if you can remember.

I will stretch when reaching for something, and be sure to give a little more to work the back muscles. I have also leaned on a door jam and massaged the whole back muscle to move fluids in it. Touch your toes if you can.

I am only functional from 8am to about 3-4 pm.sometimes longer( 8-10 hour wellness window) but that is norm. During that time I really pay attention to the muscles I use or don't and be sure everybody has done something in the day. Even my hands get stretched.

You don't need a gym, and we have all complained of P.T being out of touch with our needs. Just try to remember to hydrate alot during the day with water. That and green veggies(anti oxidant properties)...made all the difference in my body finally doing a bit more for me.

I couldn't comb my hair or carry a pot to the stove to cook. I slept in a recliner as I couldn't sleep in bed for the pain.

I have come a long way, and sadly have forgotten some of the issues I felt in those early years. I felt in the morning so stiff that I was 90 years old. But I could get moving again with meds and waiting. I waited here on the computer with all of the fmily. Then got up and started my day. The headaches, numb hands.....knife in my back..(thought someone had a voodoo doll of me). These are my memories.

Memories because alot has been tamed down. I did it with alot of trial and error and YES...not listening to the experts that didn't make sense in how I felt.

Vaccuming is an exercise. Use it as such. Laundry is a killer for me and an exercise. Good luck in seeing that you do this without the gym or P.T. Just learn to use the muscle groups and wake them up a bit with stretching and doing a little.

All my best, Nancy B

katmandulou responded:
Hi An_256965:
You're so right! Please remember that what works for me might not work for you.
Lou

katmandulou responded:
Aww, crud, it posted before I was finished.

We try to help each other with suggestions, and we don't know what you've tried. Yoga helps me, but it could be excruciating for someone else. You might get relief from massage, but I can;t stand that kind of touch.

If you have people who really don't believe you (the "you'll be fine just keep going it'll get better" crowd) here's a tip: check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . It has good tips for us, and you have to check out The Spoon Theory - it will help you explain to people what it's like to be in your body.

Has your doc checked you for Vitamin D deficiency? Sounds simple, but we who live in the northern hemisphere are usually lacking in D.

Have the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

missist replied to katmandulou's response:
You are right, as the others here have said. But--- you know-- exercise can be something other than healthy people think. I notice I have about the same window as Nancy does. I'm up early around 6? usually but I sit til I 'un-gel' LOL.. you know get the stiff out. My grand kids are here around 9am and stay til sometime between 3 & 5.pm. When they go home it is all I can do to make myself something to munch before I sit in my recliner for the night.

I am active with them though and in pretty darn good pain level for me. Years ago everything was agonizing. Even sitting hurt.

It does get better but it doesn't get all the way better. And an 8 hour day of activity is fantastic.

On days I feel good that my grands arent here-- weekend..I do things around the house and yard and I sit down a lot between this and that thing. I try to get some of my housework done when the kids are here. I do my bathrooms in about 4 days each. One day to clean the counters, sink and mirror, 1 or 2 days to clean the shower or tub. (I have 2 bathrooms) and a day to scrub the toilet. The floor is another day --mop and I do not do it unless I can see it is in need.

I have throw rugs all over the place to trap dirt.

You know-- you will figure it all out and eventually you'll feel better. It is I think the toughest when you are young and have kids at home still. But you need to remember Everyone on earth has some kind of challenge. This one kind of sucks (not my fav. word--but descriptive for sure) But you know--I have a friend whose kid commited suicide-- would WAY rather have my issues than that one.

You can do this-- just don't think about the years ahead, think about today. Pace yourself and make sure you get what you need to sleep well, and what you need to address pain as much as possible & tell people you need help--I wish I'd done that years ago. I really think everyone thought I was just lazy but I was seriously ill.

Many have been there before you and are hanging in--you can do it.
Mary

An_256965 replied to missist's response:
Thank you all for your responses I feel better then I did. Just mentally over it as everyone and trying to get past acceptance faze my doctor told me about. He said grief and do what you gotta until you do that you can't feel better emotionally. I started walking probably about a mile not sure we walk about 30-1 hour. Not to fast using stroller for some support. Mentally a little better though . I am thankful for everything I have and no it can get worse any moment. Doesn't change the pain I'm going through right now. My little brother was 19 perfectly healthy my best friend died in crash four years ago. I know life's precious and I do what I can. The only thing I can't do often is sweeping it's my one thing . I can vacuum or do dishes everyday I pick one . Bathrooms occasionally if I'm having ok day. I feel the same but not as early I get up not really functional till about 11 then come 7 I feel like passing out some times do for a few minutes which sucks.. Sleep I'm starting to sleep a little harder so I think that's why my mental states improved between natural sleep aids Benadryl and prescription I only wake up once or twice and it's at least 8 hours well I spend in bed . But downside I have nightmares now that I'm sleeping.....I wonder if it gets better when you no longer chase your little ones all day mine are 2 4 and 11

missist replied to An_256965's response:
I was thinking that chasing little ones--its a 'paceable' job you know. Its not something you have to dress up for. I greet my grandkids every weekday morning usually in my pjs and keep them til their folks are done working.

I do still have some bad days--today is one I am pretty worn out from having company yesteray and all the cooking etc. everyhing hurts.. yada yaday.. LOL>

But I did still keep the kids all day we just had a quiet day. I'll feel a little better tomorrow. I'm just glad my main 'job' is one I can do partly in pjs and with lots of sit down breaks.

Could be worse eh?
mary

An_256965 replied to missist's response:
Yes definitely. I am blessed being able to be home with mine now. Before I worked 54 plus hours. I couldn't anymore and come home to take care of them . I'd come home sit and cry and be worthless. So that parts better and I feel ya after a day of company and cooking and cleaning the next day is as restful as possible