Skip to content
Traveling has caused a flare up of deep fatigue
wetnoodle posted:
A few days ago, i came back from a 4 day trip, involving multiple plane rides, car rental and different accommodations to see family . Now I'm paying for it with extreme fatigue and joint aches. i have to get enough energy to get back to work. thank God, I gave myself a couple days before I needed to go back to work! All I want to do is sleep and soak in a warm tub. This is so frustrating, does it mean traveling is something I can no longer do?

dollbug responded:
Hello....actually no but you should how to pace as much as you can and allow yourself to rest. Since I have been sick with FM and chronic fatigue I have taken several trips also...but I finally figured out that I have to rest when I do this. My DH and I went out west for 9 days a few years ago. We did a lot of sight seeing in our vehicle over the Tetons and Yellowstone too. He would stop often though and we rested when I had to. I really dreaded this trip in the beginning and I got sick the first night but the next day we picked up my portable bed (a lounge Chair which reclines) and I was able to sleep then for the rest if the trip until the last night. I am one of the FMers here who sleeps in a recliner so that I can lessen my FM pain. I have had to do this since 2005.

It does take time and effort to find the *right tools* which will make a difference.

Have you gotten your vitamin D level checked yet? If not, then you might want to speak to your doctor about this.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Wetnoodle-- I hear you there! My last trip I took long naps every afternoon and went to bed early even though we were on vacation--it was a good way to do it. But that was just a trip to Florida about an hours flight from here. My next one in August is 8 hours on plane. not sure how that will go. I'm bound to be exhausted I think.

but it is a trip to see my grandkids and I can't skip that.

All I can say i you have to pace even if you are visiting some folks who don't want to. For me that means let them go out without me in the evening if they want to and I'm not up to it-- I can deal with a short walk or eating out but going to something where I have to be alert and pay attention at night--no thank you. I try to schedule things in the morning and a nap when that's over before dinner etc.

I dont take a lot of trips-- just the really important ones.

Mary

wetnoodle replied to missist's response:
thanks for the reply, although this trip was necessary & I did what I could to minimize the damage. yet at the same time I knew it was going to be tough. I just didn't think , it would take 3 solid days and sleeping all the time to recover. The way it is to fly the cramped seats irregular sleep and meals has really caused a flare up. Wish I could explain this to people that don't have chronic pain or fibro. it would help.

missist replied to wetnoodle's response:
Wetnoodle--don't we all wish we could explain? LOL. you just dont' know what the deal is with not wanting to fly until you do it with fibro. True enough.
mary

brewcrew4 responded:
I'm in so much pain right now and just returned from Florida. I wish people could understand the pain, but it is too hard to explain. I didn't even think about air travel doing this to me.it makes me never want to travel again!

painshadow responded:
Wow...you too? I drove 20 hours in 3 days last week and I am STILL paying for it. I also got lost 4 times....something I've never done when driving...no to the extent of losing around 6 hours total driving time. It really stinks. I guess traveling is going to be very different.

painshadow replied to brewcrew4's response:
All encompasing, deep penetrating, searing pain. You cannot get away from it no matter what position you shift into...unless u float in a WARM. Pool. That's how I explain it. My nerves are a superhighway for pain signals ( the autobon...) to the brain.
I feel as if I am wearing weighted clothes...and gravity is sucking me to the earth.
I am confused...my thoughts are fleeting...I can't always hold them in my head as they scatter and float away.
I was sitting at the table and felt a sharp pain pricking my arm...i looked and looked for what I thought was a pin....I do not sew and probably don't even have any pins. It was a piece of paper touching my arm.
I hope this helps you explain.

zippdee7 responded:

I'm going to cancel plans to go with relatives to check out colleges for my daughter, because I am afraid of what it might do to me. Even my husband reminded me, and that was unusual. I would love to go, in fact my heart and mind is there, but hope I'm not over thinking it.

I haven't hardly been anywhere more that 1 hour away in years. Don't want to be a party pooper. People won't understand and ask silly questions, even my daughter!

katmandulou responded:
Hi wetnoodle, and welcome!

Mimi always urges us to pace ourselves, and we really have to! You will figure out what you have to do in order to survive a trip, even just a few days.

My fave vacation location is Tokyo. I live in New England, and our trips always mean long plane rides. We're lucky that we have family on the other end, but I don't sleep on planes and arrive beat. It's a 10-day trip for us, so we just recover the first full day we're there. Sometimes I tell DH that I have to just rest, and we sit for awhile, have a snack, and just enjoy where we are.

You'll be able to travel as long as you remember to rest when you're tired and drink water to flush the toxins out. And take bathroom breaks, lots of them!

Finally, check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . It has good tips for us, and you have to read The Spoon Theory - it will help you explain to people what it's like to be in your body. Some days we have more spoons, some days we have fewer"026

Wishing you the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

suebrayt replied to katmandulou's response:
This is my first post because I am brand new to this community. Travelling and increased activity gave me a terrible flare up. Does anyone have suggestions for flare ups ?

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.