Skip to content
Thursday *****6/26/2014 *****end of June nearing
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily....MiMi in NC where it is already *hot* here and it is not even 9 o'clock yet....*76* ....OMG. I guess it is going to get really hot again with possible scattered thunder showers.

Yesterday was not a good day for me. I took my brace off for a while and aired out my hand. It is still quite bruised on both sides. My wrist is getting very stiff and sore. I am going to try to slowly move this some. I sure don't want to start from scratch again with the wrist. It is enough trying to deal with my 2 fingers which I am going to have to work with. I think I might start soaking my hand and maybe using the hot was bowl too. I hate dealing with yet more pain. I think when we have something else to deal with, it can affect our entire body and just how to cope.

I did sleep ok last night which is a good thing. I have to keep my arm propped on several pillows. Sometimes I wake up with it feeling so heavy I can hardly move it and this is when it is painful as well. I am hoping it is healing right. My rib pain has improved but it is not 100% yet. I know things just take time.

Here is hoping each of you had a good night's rest and I hope we all have a good Thursday with little to no pain.

Welcome to the new members who have joined recently. Sorry that you are dealing with the wrath of the dragon....but at least there is hope.....there are good tools which will make a difference, you just have to figure out what combination will help you. So learn all you can about what others have tried and found to make a difference for them. It does take time and effort to figure this out. It is like a puzzle that we have to put together. Not an easy task to do though.

Vitamins and supplements work nicely for me...with a bit of tweaking along the way. Drinking plenty of water and learning how to pace, pace and pace even more helps me as well. I have learned this over time though. Keeping stress levels as low as possible is also a good thing to do. (this is one I continue to struggle with a lot)

Vitamin D.....speak to your doctor about getting yours checked....this is so VERY IMPORTANT.....IF I had to share ONLY ONE thing with new members.....this is IT. For any of you who have NOT done this....I do encourage you to do this as soon as possible....Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We get our GD early today....and I will be staying with them tomorrow morning. No to worry if I do not post early.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Morning Mimi,

I am home in a bad flare after my stress test and echo. CRAP I forgot how hard it was going to be. The probe was on trigger points in the chest wall that killed me and then the treadmill, holding on to the bar with the walking efffort got my NECK.

I have 2 muscles stuck in spasm attaching my ears to the throat...I feel like I have the mumps and can't turn to the left. YIKES... a mess.

So I took off to heat and medicate and rest, but I know without the TrP injections I am stuck. Slept in the recliner.

It is 3 years or 4 since the last stress and I didn't remember the reaction. Not doing it again for the same....I was perfect!

With your hand issue, I thought right away of you having your hand in a pot of warm water and playing with a wash cloth for ROM(range of motion) exercise.

Brief playing at it. Amazed that you are still bruised at this point. 2 weeks out it should be gone. Hmm.

It is 72* here and looks nice out, I am not sure I will even come out of the nightgown today. I am hurting bad. The muscle has my face...feels like I have the MUMPS, right in front of the ear area....just feel so stupid that I crossed the line BIG TIME.

I just read Dr P's workforce post from 4 years ago. SO many comments and past people that were here. It was good to see their coments and stories. As you, same ole..Mimi in NC. I didn't realise you always posted like that.

OK..off to the heating pad. I hope the day goes well for others here. A low pain day for all...I am just going to crawl under the rock in the living room and curl up......

Nancy B (I will break this mess I am in)!

katmandulou responded:
Good Morning all - hot and "soupy" here, 77 with 80% humidity. We're supposed to get more rain (it poured overnight, but I didn't hear a thing) and t-storms today and tonight, and the humidity will go away tomorrow. What is it about humidity that makes me feel soo icky? I'm down to 1 Tramadol, gotta call that in!

Missed the check in yesterday, it was a crazy day. I'm still waiting for a couple quotes on the kitchen, but I think we've convinced ourselves that we like HD. I've heard good, I've heard bad, but I have a good vide from the guy we're dealing with.

Is it my imagination, but there are a lot of newcomer lately? Many don't register, but stay anonymous (An_). So many more hit there getting the sad news that you're in the FM club.

Mimi, I'm concerned with two-weeks of bruising too. I think it could be because you haven't been using that hand. Go slow, don't do anything that hurts.

Nancy, I have the same thing on the right side of my neck, but I've forced my head to turn. It doesn't go far!

I'm having lunch with a friend and her two darling children. I haven't seen the older one in a couple of years, school's out now, so this will be a treat. Lunch tomorrow with a friend who works for a large office supply store, work *might* come from it.

Wishing you all the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

melpom responded:
Good Day to all! I have been reading posts on this message board for over a month. I have posted and received great advise. I thought it was time to start checking in. I am learning to pace and using heating pad and other suggestions. I don't take any meds but one for my thyroid. I do take supplements to help with FM & CF. The kids are home for the summer which gives me limited time. I will try to at least check in briefly. I feel like I have found my home. Thanks for all the support. Mel

dollbug replied to melpom's response:
Hello Mel....I am so glad that you have found *tools* which has made a difference for you. Sometimes it takes a long time to figure out what will help a person. It took me over a year to get my Vitamin D up to within the *normal range*....(which is a long time to wait for something to make a difference).

Continue to learn all you can about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. Things will continue to get better....little by little, bit by bit....you will never know what will help you until you try. Normally it takes at least 6-9 weeks for a person to get the full potential of whatever they decide to do....(this goes for vitamins and supplements as well as prescriptions).

Learning how to pace is SO IMPORTANT.....BUT it is sometimes hard to remember to do it. This, too, takes time. Actually most any and every process takes time and effort.

Glad you are doing better.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

katmandulou replied to melpom's response:
Hi Mel, and welcome!

I'm happy to hear that you're able to manage your FM without meds. I know a lot of us would like to lighten that load!! Don't be afraid if your doc suggests something after you've had a flare.

Are your kids able to help out? With them home for the summer it's a good time to have them start! If they want to know what you're feeling, check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . It has good tips for us, and you have to read The Spoon Theory - it will help you explain to your kids what it's like to be in your body.

Wishing you the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

rudyandirmouse responded:
Good Thursday one and all. I am sorry to read that so many are hurting today. I do hope that each of you feels better quickly.

It's overcast, what's new, muggy and will rain, I'm sure, in a bit. had some sprinkles fall while out getting some things at the market. Some summer we're having so far. UGH.

DH is off for a his 4 day vacation and the plans for a trip down to the Gulf have all but fallen through. Our oldest DD, who has our middle GD, from NC with her, wants us in town in case our visiting GD gets homesick and needs Nana and Poppie. Can do this with ease but sure wish I'd have at least some fun day trips we can do while he's off. I mean Tunica, MS is just down the road, And Atlanta is always a fun shopping trip for me. Love IKEAS, but here we are, and it looks like, here we will be staying.

Speaking of traveling we got so incredibly lucky today as we, well DH, has been able to get rooms for us at Disneyland's newest hotel The Paradise Pier for 4 days and 3 nights.

I thought we would have to stay in the Valley and drive the 44 miles out to Anaheim, so am amazed that DH was able to get us rooms for our trip in December. I mean everyone comes into town to be at Disneyland on New year's Eve, we also did, but then to go and watch the parade the next morning.

Knowing we have rooms now I will be making calls soon, to the different cities that will have float entries, to set us up to work on the floats, one of the days, prior to the parade and then drive back out to see the Pasadena Rose Parade New Year's day.

MiMi, the black and blue hand, that has been bruised for more than 10 days, sounds worrisome, and maybe, the doctor who is treating your and putting you in a cast, should take another look at it. Perhaps, what do I know, using it, like Nancy suggested, in water, might help it look and feel better?

Lou, sure hope those estimates come in quickly so your insurance company can send out the workers to get started on the work.

Nancy, really sorry to hear you are dealing with a particularly bad fibro flare after your stress test. I do hope that it eases up and that your begin to feel better. And staying in your nightgown and resting sounds good.

Nancy and Lou, I so understand the neck pain going up to the ear and not being able to turn my head freely without pain. I have, from time to time, more often than I'd like, have these kinds of neck issues. I was getting the PT for months to help with that but it still continued to 'pop' and be stiff so said I'd go back to PT only when I couldn't move it or the migraines were more than I could deal with, so far, so good. Perhaps it's the monthly chiropractic adjustments that's helping?

Hi Cory, hope your day is going well and that you feel good over all.

Welcome Mel, I hope you will settle in and post often. This is a really amazing place and so many wonderful and caring people that are dealing with what you are and understand.

Will close this here as DH wants to go out for lunch. Yay that!
Gentle hugs, and have a wonderful day... Linda R

fibroinsd responded:
just a quick hello..and a special welcome to Mel..always glad to have others join in the conversation..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

missist replied to fibroinsd's response:
Hi to you all-- and welcome to Mel as many have said. It isn't often it seems that new members post in the daily check in threads. So nice to have another one.

I am another member of the "slept in the recliner club" been dealing with insomnia this week-- grrr. So yes flared up.

That goes hand in hand. My sacroillitis is acting up which is really a pain-- I mean that. LOL. Also other areas, but that one is getting to me as well as my right ankle and foot which --I know from experience is due to muscles in my calf. So I will heat up my rice bag next time I get up. I just sat down and put feet up after doing granny daycare and FORGOT my rice bag--don't you hate that? when you finally sit and get all arranged and realize you need something?

We got HUGE news this week. My oldest is moving his family to this area. His new position allows him to work from home and all he has to do is make sure he is near an airport for travelling. So he & his wife decided to come stay with us a while and look around this area. We are in SC but they are thinking they will settle maybe near Asheville--we shall see. They have 3 of my grandkids so I'm thrilled as they have been living in WA state so I almost never see the kiddos. Haven't even met littlest one yet.

Of course this means I will need to find ways to make sure i gt some peace in the day too even with a lot of folks in my little house. I do still do daycare all day here M-FR- and now the little ones will have their cousins here too--so 3 in diapers and a nearly 4 y/o and a 5 y/o will be in my house much of the time. I guess I won't be lonely.

Thinking of adding a recliner and tv to my bedroom so I can go hide if need be in the evening-for a little rest.

Wishing the best for you all!
Mary

rowan73 responded:
Little late for Friday, lol. Mi Mi, sorry about the wrist/hand. Could the prolonged bruising be contributed by meds? U probably thought on that, duh on me. I'm also in a Flare. Stress induced. Bad doctor finding and communicating issues here to. Anyway... For you, I've had a weird situation going on with a sunburn i got on May 30th. My face is healed, but for some crazy reason my forearms and legs (thighs) are STILL peeling. I've had bad sunburns before but this is wild. If you're like me you're probably pretty healthy outside of FM,etc. I don't get every bug that comes down the pike. Freaky summer already feel better soon I'll pray for you. BTW: do you think that being otherwise healthy is impeding the progress I need to make for my issues? probably

Reread some of my tests. Brain MRI would explain a lot of my past two years of balance and memory issues. Damage to the right front parietal lobe for anyone who might know more than I on those things. My blood tests showed low Vit D but primary care says its normal, ugh. T4 was also low. But considered normal by the doc. I've been looking everywhere for a new primary care, but all my meds seem to scare them off. I've been denied two or is it 3 and counting. Blah. Ops: at Mother's Day I told some of you about my mother being a match for her older sister who had a rare cancer tat required a donor as a last ditch attempt to save her. HAPPY NEWS! It Worked!!! The procedure worked. My Aunt is already out of the hospital and regaining her strength at her younger sister's home. I'm not sure, but rejection seems not to be a consideration. The docs chemo'd my Aunt so low, that they used my mom's to jumpstart my Aunt's own immune system again. I'm a bit lost on the whole thing, but the important thing is that my 92 yr old grandmother will not have to live through the pain of losing a child. Go Mom! Go Crazy Sterling Women(my family)! Watch out, we live into our 90's & 100's. yay!
Smile you're never alone, and laughter is the best medicine. As Bobby McFerrin said Don't worry, be happy...an anthem for me...remember stress makes it worse ;)

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.