Skip to content
Restarting Life
pharmtechlori posted:
I was diagnosed with Fibro 12 years ago when I was 22 after I was in a car accident where the pain never really went away. I've been doing really well with my Rheum for the past few years and then my symptoms just changed. The pain feels different, more like pinched nerves or sprained muscles than just cramps or overwork. My fatigue is utterly devastating whereas before it was a minor nuisance.

I take Ritalin 10mg PRN up to 2/day to deal with being at work and I take Lunesta 3mg and Soma 350 at night to help me sleep. I have a PRN prescription for Norco 7.5/325 if I need it, and am on 50K IU's of Vit D for a chronic deficiency.

I plan to speak with my Dr. on Monday about this but I'm not sure what else I can do or why things changed. Any ideas?

melpom responded:
I'm not sure why your pain level has increased. I hope your Dr. can figure it out. Could it be that now you are dealing with two different illnesses? Possibly the vitamin D needs to be increased. It seems like when there are other illnesses it can cause additional pain and can be more difficult to control. I think you made a good decision by making the Dr.s appointment. Let us know how that goes. Hang in there! Wishing you well. Mel

katmandulou responded:
Hi pharmtechlori, and welcome!

It could be that you DO have a pinched nerve or muscle spasms. If you're on your feet all day, it could be fatigue. I'm glad you have called your doc, and he/she will get to the bottom of it.

In the meantime, I hope you take time out of your day to rest. I'm not saying sitting for five minutes (tho' that does sound good), but relaxing, doing something you love, whether it's reading, doing crossword puzzles to knitting. (I'm projecting - but they work for me.)

I wish you the bast day you can possibly have,
Lou

nextstepsuicide responded:
Lori,
Fibro pain moves around to all areas of your body. For example, I had severe pain in an area of my back for about a year. When I finally got someone to address the problem, it started to go away. Another example is when a doctor stuck his thumb into my lumbar spine area (where I said I had pain) and he almost dropped me to the floor because the pain was excruciating. Thereafter, I felt a "pulled muscle" kind of feeling that started from my lumbar spine, wrapped around my hip and down the front of my thigh. I developed a painful distinctive knot under the skin in the front of my thigh that is still there to this day.
With fibro, you are dealing with muscle weakness issues, nerve issues, and skeletal issues. I believe that the lumber to thigh connector knot developed as a result of fibro.
Do you have knots or fibroids under your skin? They interfere with, "ride on top of" or get caught between muscles and nerves. Drinking lots and lots of water (minimum 4 liters a day) helps these "knots" float more easily, thus somewhat reducing the pain. (I learned about this recently when I went into the hospital under emergency conditions. The folks there pumped 12 liters of fluids into me on full TKO (to keep open) status.) My skeleton issues were still there and thank goodness my husband remembered to bring me my dog bone cervical support pillow that goes everywhere I go. But, to sum up, the difference between being dehydrated and having 12 liters of fluids was like night and day. And, upon returning home, I slowly became dehydrated again (although I tried to drink lots of reverse osmosis filtered water). The changes when I was properly hydrated verses dehydrated blew me away because my fibro issues were better with the proper amount of fluids in me.
Suggestion to Readers: Proper hydration and fibro are somehow linked. Drink as much healthy water as you can. I've had fibro for 25 years and was quite surprised to learn that proper body fluid levels seemed to help with fibro issues.
If there is anyone out there who can explain this, I would love to know!!
May you approach every day with courage.
Best wishes!
Kee

salberry replied to nextstepsuicide's response:
I agree with you about keeping hydrated. I have always drunk a lot of water, but have been making a concentrated effort to drink even more!

And thank you for saying that the pain moves around. I am newly diagnosed by a rheumatologist who doesn't treat ongoing cases of fibro. Thank goodness I have an appointment with another one next week. My PCP has been worthless---he essentially insulted me during my last appointment with him by telling me that he believes I am imagining all of this and that I am clinically depressed. He referred me to a psychiatrist who specializes in addictions and psychosomatic illnesses. He completed FMLA paperwork for me and it does not mention fibromyalgia. I think it is going to be a long road to get where I need to be. Frustrating and disappointing and scary. It helps so much to know that there are others willing to share what they are going through!

Hugs to all of you!!!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.