Skip to content
Need suggestions on finding the right doctor
salberry posted:
I am a 57 year old female and was diagnosed about 3 months ago by a rheumatologist that doesn't treat ongoing fibro cases. My primary care doctor (an internist) does not believe that I have fibro. He told me I am clinically depressed and am imagining all of this. I have been going to this doctor for 14 years and I thought he knew me and never dreamed that he would think I am making all of this up! I have an appointment with another rheumatologist next week---originally called at the end of May and was initially scheduled for the end of August. I asked to be put on a cancellation list and was contacted yesterday for an appointment next week. I need to find another primary care doctor, but so far have not been successful. I have searched on-line for the Indianapolis area and I have asked friends. I think I am gun-shy. I thought for a long time I was just imagining the pain and fatigue---I even told myself I was just being lazy. I had told my internist several times in the past when I would go through periods of feeling like I had the flu----aching all over----and feeling worn out. He would tell me that it was part of getting older. I believed him because I would always bounce back until the past year or so. I finally asked my internist to recommend a rheumatologist and the one he suggested to me doesn't treat fibro! Those of you have been lucky enough to find the right doctor---any suggestions how I might go about finding the right one for me?

melpom responded:
I don't have an answer but definitely know how you feel! Frustrated!! I have been going to the same primary family Dr. for 12 years. After being told several times it was all in my head. I'm a mother I should be tired. The pain is due to my thyroid disease. ( though the levels indicate with the help of meds I am in the normal range). I'm depressed. Need therapy. Blah, blah, blah I did take meds for 10 yrs for depression. I did go to therapist. I still hurt and am fatigued. I finally requested a referral to Reumatologist. I was diagnosed with FM and sent back to primary Dr. I don't know how to find the right support for me. I have started going to a holistic/natural nurse who helps with supplements. I also go to Chiropractor and massage therapist. I hope someone here has the knowledge and can guide us to finding a good support system!! Mel

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome. MiMi in NC. Have you tried this link?
http://www.fmaware.org
You need to find a doctor who treats FM. Try the link above and see if they have any listed in or close to where you live.

Having a good doctor who knows how to treat you is really important. Will the doctor have all of the answers? Probably not.

I would also encourage you to ask the doctor to check your Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Continue to check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* too. I am sure you will find some good *tools and tips* that might help you cope better. We are all different and what works for one may or may not work for another. Only you will know when you have found something that works for you. It does take time and effort to find the *right combination* ....so hang in there and continue to try different things. It normally takes at least 6-9 weeks before you get the full potential of whatever you decide to try. (unless of course what you are doing is making you sicker than you were)

When I first got sick I also thought I was getting the flu. My symptoms of aches never completely went away.
I have since found *vitamins and supplements which help control my FM pain but I have not found anything yet which has helped the chronic fatigue*.

You will have some days which are better than others.

Take care.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.