Skip to content
Hormones & FM
melpom posted:
Wondering if anyone knows if there is a connection to hormonal changes in women and FM. Curious if anyone has heard of any research regarding this or has any info. I sometimes wonder if my flares aren't related to hormones and the cycle. Any info would be appreciated. Is there any medication or vitamin/supplement that might help? Thanks! Mel

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

This question have often been brought up so I think there must be something to it for some women at least. I have had FM since childhood and am still only in my early 30's so I guess the greatest change I have gone through so far is puberty!

Many women report worsening symptoms around their periods and that makes sense. I stay on a birth control pill that basically makes me not have periods. I figure why go through more pain?

As far as hormones other than estrogen, many people think there is a connections. Our bodies have such a complex network of symptoms that are supposed to work correctly.

A good doctor to find might be a naturopath. I have a great one who is very scientifically based (not hippy-dippy) and looks at hormones.

melpom replied to Anon_10089's response:
Thanks for the reply. I tried to do a search for old posts. Sometimes it is just as easy to start a new discussion. I appreciate your info. I was on the depo shot for years and have been off for a couple now. I will continue to seek some help with the hormone issues. Thanks again! Mel

Anon_10089 replied to melpom's response:
I always appreciate new threads. I just said that to mean that it comes up so much, there must be a connection for some. I've heard the depo shot can be pretty rough for some people. I take a pretty low dose pill and do great on it. I don't think it helps with the FM, but I figured I deserve to feel less period pain than a "normal"!! Plus, I feel when I ovulate and that is quite uncomfortable and the pill solves that issue too.

I had just accepted FM for years and most doctors kinda have the attitude, "well, I feel bad but it is what it is". I recently found 2 doctors who have been extremely proactive. The naturopath does very effective acupuncture for me and did have me test my adrenal function. It was very low and so I take pregnenolone--which is a hormonal precursor to pretty much every hormone. There is some controversy with this between Western medicine and more alternative medicine but I felt it was time to do more for my health. I think it has helped with energy some. I do have to get it made at a compounding pharmacy so it's not the cheapest but my insurance covers part of it.

My other new doctor is extremely proactive and is into finding comorbid conditions. I have chronic headaches and she doesn't lump it in to the FM like other doctors do. I finally feel like I'm in good hands. She's also not afraid to try different meds--even the kinda controversial ones. I don't want to be on a bunch of pills but I need to feel better. She's putting me on a low dose of thyroid meds even though my numbers are in the "average". She totally willing to experiment and figure things out for me.

If you can, I'd try to find a naturopathic doctor. I think they are more willing to connect hormones with pain than traditional doctors. Or, it's more that traditional doctors need test numbers to be way out of the averages to do anything. I feel like their hands get tied quite a bit by the big hospitals most of them work for now.

--JR

lml7221 responded:
I've been diagnosed for like 4 months now - been in pain for about 2 years though. I haven't come across any info on hormones effecting pain but I think that would totally make sense for me!

I didn't start to get BAD symptoms until 12/2013 - when I found out I was pregnant. I had a nightmare pregnancy. I had very had morning (more like all day) sickness for most of it and I had TERRIBLE pain. Horrible back pain, my hips felt crushed, my legs would be very sore. Prior to pregnancy I had arm pain (mainly in my wrists and hands but now it's the entire arm). All the pain I felt before/during my pregnancy I still have now - the hip/back pain it unbearable. I feel like I'm still carrying around a large baby and my son is just about to turn 1! I thought the pain would go away but it never did.

I have ALWAYS felt that my hormones have been out of WHACK. Birth control always gave me weird side effects, my pregnancy...my hormones were just off the walls. And they're still very OFF to this day.

I would definitely love to know if anyone knows more info about this. I'll definitely ask my doctor to check my levels and hopefully she will be helpful.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.