Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arm/Socket pain :((((
GirlTaraK posted:
Happy Friday FMily!! Miss you all so much! I need some advice, help, sympathy, anything .. :frown: It feels as though both of my arms have been literally pulled out of their sockets then shoved back in. Ouch. That is the best way to describe these pains I am having all week. It it even hard to lay on my side, as it puts pressure on my arms. They are so achy and sore, it brings a natural tear to my eye without me even crying. That has only happened to me one other time and I was in a lot of pain as well. Does anyone else get such pains in their arms and sockets up near the top under your arm pits? Oyyyy. I feel bad if you do as there is just no pain like this pain and how do you find relief? I have hand the hand pains and I rub on aspercreams it helps a bit. But what should I do for this type of pain?? Any thoughts FMILY?? It is keeping me up at night and throbbing and aching.. :frown: :frown: Thanks for any feedback at all. I am just at a loss, never thought I would get a new area of pain and so painful too. I hope everyone is doing good today, I miss you all!! Big Hugs!! Welcome to the New FMily! Hope to get to chat with you sometime soon.. Tara

TJAlex responded:
Yes I get this to. Salonpas patches help a bit. It usually takes me 3 or 4 per shoulder, but the Stopain just doesn't seem to do for this pain. Hope you get some relief.

sn1964 responded:
Oh Tara, I am so sorry you are having this kind of pain. YES I have been through this with both arms and I am so sorry to say mine was like that for over a year! I could not sleep on either side. I would have to sleep with my shoulders completely flat on my stomach or back. It was awful. Or I would have to lay on my stomach with my arms straight out. That will give some relief as well. Sometimes I would wake up with just burning pain. You are right it is a horrible pain. It still flares up every now and again just like the rest of FM. But at least it only stays a coupl eof months each time it happens. Nothing helps this except to modify the way your are sleeping and make sure you do not sleep on your side. Sorry I know that is not much help but I have not figured out any other thing that helps. I will be interested to hear what every one else has to say. Shawna

pocotaz responded:
Tara, Yes i get those pains as well. I also have trouble laying on my sides wen this happens buthave to because I've had back surgery and laying on my back causes my whole lower half of my body to go numb ( from te waist dow). I usually don't do anything for it because it's in a weird spot but maybe you can try the STOPAIN people here have recommended or heat. I sure hope it starts to subside soon. Hugs to you--gentle of course Linda

Anjl26 responded:
Yes, I have this too at times. Heat, heat patches, lidoderm patches, creams.. you've probably tried them all. Have you asked your doctor about it? You may have a tendonitis/bursitis in your shoulders which can be treated with injections.

rainryder65 responded:
(((Ta Ta))), gentle hugs with gentle pats on the back. :smile: The one thing I know for certain now, is that something else can, and will, hurt. :eyeroll: Have you tried a heating pad? It sounds like a hard place to get to, but it might help. :confused: When my sides hurt, right under my arm pits, I like to stand in a hot shower and stretch very gently. The water seems to wash some of the pain away. I usualy head straight to bed for a little rest afterwards, too. May you find some relief, somewhere! Hugs -Leah

Meme0221 responded:
Tara~ OY!! Yes, boy do I know all about that!! That's what I'm talking about when I say I cannot dress myself, I can't raise my arms, I can't pull up my own britches, grab or pick up anything, can't do anything, etc... That is only one of the major pains I get when I'm flaring!! The only OTC that helps me get thru it, if that's what you want to call it is: My pain meds, muscle relaxers, Stopain, DeepWellHeatingPatches, Heat packs, rice packs, moist heat, hot shower/soak, etc... You may just want to rest your arms & let it run it's course, like any flare. Don't use your arms or lift...Let them just rest & heal. Did you do anything like clean the shower with your arm over head?? I know if I do "anything" with my arms overhead, that's it for me!! I'm done! It's very very painful. That's a pain that is off the charts. I've experienced that hundreds of times. I'm sorry this is a new thing for you... It's not pleasant at all. I hope you feel better soon. Rest up, ok?! Love & Hugs, MeMe

GirlTaraK responded:
Oh thank you so much to everyone who responded.. MeMe, you explained it so well when you said you cannot lift your arms to take off your shirt or pull up or down your britches. Grabbing anything is just like all of my nerves go into shock from the pain. I have not done any major cleaning lately except the toilets and I may have done it to myself there. Yesterday also I was pushing a rather large cart filled with groceries when my parents took me to Cosco a large retail/grocery store to help me out. Then my Dad took over the pushing pretty quickly so I did not push very long. I guess that is what did it. Girly, it sure does hurt so badly and my pain meds and muscle relaxers are not touchin the pain. I have my srms so close to the sides of my chest when I am typing now as it feels better not to strain much. I will be laying the the heated tub tonight or maybe take Tress to the jacuzzi tonight.. So sorry all of you suffer with this horrible pain too. It is making me nauseaus to my stomache the pain is so bad. :( Take care MeMe and all the rest of you sweet ones who posted back to me.. sending you big warm soft sisterly hugs tonight!!!!! With lots of Love, Tara

Yayabay06 responded:
Oohhh, Tara~ I have had it from bad pillows and it took time....just time.....I wish I knew something to help you. Just rest your arms. I had a 5 speed at the time and couldn't even move my arm to shift. It was terrible!!! Hope it gets better soon. YaYa

jacksgramma responded:
Dear Tara, Yes I have terrible shoulder pain. As much as my back hurts, feet, legs etc., it is my shoulder pain that is the worst. I have lived with this for so many years. I also try the Salon Pas, stop-pain and then resort to vicodin as I have no other pain meds that work. I do try stretching my arms, when I do the Pilates I nearly go through the roof with pain but I know I have to strengthen them. I'm so sorry that you are having this, I do hope for your sake it is temporary. Use pillows, one under each arm when you sleep. That is if you are on your back. If you sleep on your side use two pillows under one arm and somehow you can balance to take the pain off of your shoulder/arm. Also, memory foam will become your best friend. Again Tara, I am so sorry, Blessings and hugs, Lori

angelldakota responded:
guess i can join your club there too... sorry to say looks like our club is way too big for comfort lol... atleast once again we arent alone.... i try stretching as far as i can without it hurting worse... sometimes it helps... gentley tho ever so gentley... i sleep with extra pillows all the time... everyone says i am the pillow hog lol... it is embarrassing to ask my son to help dress me but sometimes i just have no choice... i guess for me time is the only healer... in time it passes for the most part... i hope it passes very soon for you and others... bless you hun i will keep you in my prayers

briar50 responded:
Tara, I have had problems with both of my shoulders for the last 8 months. The pain level goes from a low of about a 6 to a high of ARGHHHHH!!!!! At that point I end up sleeping in a chair. I cannot lay on my back because of seversl compression fractures in my lower back. I cannot lay on mt stomach because I am the proud owner of a feeding tube there. That is when you realize that it really sucks when the shoulder problems rear their ugly heads. I had issues with them several years ago and I was able to lie on my back. God , this really does suck ! You may have to sleep in the chair for a few weeks to let your shoulders rest. Gentle Hugs, John

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.