Skip to content
Gall Bladder questions
Socialwrkr posted:
Hi everyone,

I know it's not fibro, but it's killing me, so....

Apparently my gall bladder is acting up. No big stones noticed when they did an ultrasound, but some "grit" was noticed and when the techician pressed the wand into my side, I nearly had to hurt her.

I think a significant amount of my back pain lately has been related to this. But right now, I'm not having a ton of pain. What I am having is terrible nausea and belching (which I never do!!). I can't eat, when I do try, I get sick. My doc gave me phenerghan, and while that helps some, not nearly enough. I can't hardly walk without breaking out in a sweat from the nausea.

I have been able to drink, just a little, so, I have some pedialyte. Silly, but one of the easiest things to get down!

What else can I be doing? Does anyone know? My doc basically said I have to get through it. No indications of infection and having my gall bladder taken out is not an option unless it's critical because of my clotting disorders. I think my pain medication makes me even more nauseaus since I have nothing in my stomach.

Any tips? It's much appreciated!

Aimee

jaxgirl1952 responded:
I am so sorry you are having this pain. I had mine out about 10 years ago and I did not have stones either. What they found when they did the surgery was sand and they told me that the duct was not working any more and it because sluggish.

I was able to put the surgery off for a while by changing my diet. I had to eliminate all fat (I mean all). Any fat set it off. So did any carbonated beverage. I have no idea why but my SIL warned me of that and she was right.

I eventually had it done and it was done by a scope so I would not think clotting would be much issue but I really don't know. I was in and out of the hospital in 4 hours.

Eat small meals but watch your fat. Mine got better for a while but it finally did need to come out.

Take care. I was a social worker too for over 20 years.

Karen

Socialwrkr responded:
Thanks so much Karen!

I had a feeling this was going to be a wake up call for my diet!

Aimee

fibroinsd responded:
Aimee...wish I knew more....no help from me... just tons of hugs...take care..cece

Socialwrkr responded:
Thanks Cece!! That means as much as anything else!

Take care

Aimee

Booch007 responded:
Aimee,

Sludge is how I lost mine, they said no cure for this...stones are easier.

I was told to use clear broth and juices...if I even looked at a chocolate cookie I got an attack.....One attack was so bad I told my husband, if I sweat take me to the ER it is my heart....

It was chest through to the back....awful, all because I was doing nutrisystem and being good...apparently I lowered the fat content down so nice that the duct didn't empty often and the bile congeals....and makes sludge.

OY...I looked so good, but felt so awful......try some clear liquids, no caffeine, chocolate, black licorice, peppermints.....(geez I would even watch toothpaste)

Hope you get a plan soon.............................Hugs, Nancy B

Nesarian responded:
Wow, Aimee, this does not sound fun at all. Booch is the expert so I would follow her advice. I sure hope you find relief soon. I am sure you have had enough already!

Sending swarms of butterfly hugs your way!

Nene

pocotaz responded:
Aimee,

You have a big owie-- I Like Nancy B, had the same thing happen and her advice is good. I am sorry you can not have it removed yet do you your clotting issue. I was able to but I still get phantom pain in my side. I had mine taken out about 6 years ago.

They left the duct in so every now an then I get that pain there. I work with others who have the same phantom pain. It's weird.

But what your feeling is horrible. I know and I'm sorry I can't give you any other advice other than what Nancy gave you.

Get some rest an feel better soon.

Linda

Yayabay06 responded:
I guess everyone has better advice than I can give. Low fat diet is the best for it but I do not know anything else.

I had mine out last sept and I still had the same pain for 9mos after. It finally went away!! Your diet is so important. Even after the surgery. But sometimes the dr's do not tell you that.

I had the HIDA(?) scan 2 times and the first times showed that mine should come out. they wouldn't??? wierd, so I finally saw another dr and he took it out. BUT if you have a clotting issue, that is an issue!! There are a lot of websites and such to read on what to eat. I do not know any at the top of my head but I looked up so many,.

They didn't see stones or sludge in mine. It had adhesions!! My guess is from carrying my baby breech. I swear her head crushed it!! who knows!! Bu I belched and would wish I could belch all the eime. Funny thing that has not gottne any better since surgery There are certain foods like beets to help with your GB too. Just remembered!!

Good Luck, your GB can be tricky.

YaYa

Socialwrkr responded:
Thanks so much everyone.

I go back to see my doc in about 2 weeks. At that point, we'll figure out what to do next. I'd like to avoid surgery, so, I guess I'm going to start researching diet now!!

I have to admit that my diet is not the best, at all! I live alone, and I HATE to cook. So, my tendancy is to go for quick, simple things. I think oftentimes those things then have high fat. I'm also thinking that while I love my milk, perhaps I'm drinking too much.

So, many changes to make. If I go back, this "attack" has been going on for about 6 weeks. I fluffed most of it off to being fibro, see what I get!?!?!

Thanks for the help, I so appreciate having people to ask!!

Aimee

annette030 responded:
I had inflammation of the gall bladder once about 30 years ago. I had the standard gall bladder xray of that time with some nasty stuff to drink. That was before the time of ultra sounds.

Anyhow, it went away in about 4-5 weeks as I recall. I have never had any other trouble with it, and I am glad I declined any thought of surgery.

Take care, Annette

mama35660 responded:
You can have a diseased gallbladder without having stones. We have a lot of GB disease in our family and it can make you sooo sick.It seems that it can come and go.If I have an infection anywhere else in my body(bladder,sinus etc),my GB will act up.Having it removed is about all you can do to fix the problem for good. Sorry you're having such a bad time of it.

Aussie_Jane responded:

Hi Aimee,

I've just come accross ur post whilst looking for answers re my gall bladder which is playing up too [and I have fibro!>... Amazing how many ppl out there! I've just had my first bout of gall bladder issues- and am undergoing a course of augmentin [massive horse-size antibiotics> as treatment. Phenergen [in Australia> is a an Antihistimine [that makes you rather drowsey>- strange, which is actually why I'm posting... Ive been on a heap of anti-nausea [maxalon> and buscopan [anti-cramps> as well as anti-biotics and a lot of pain killers as a treatment... I even had the option of pethadine/morphine injections as well as anti-nausea... If it happens again [which in the last 2 years it probably has>- be adament in what you need/treatment u require, don't let "triage"/walk-in clinic doctors fob you off!

good luck with it all>

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.