Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Infrared Body Wraps
brinkers posted:
Hello, Im new to this board. I have had fibromyalgia for 8 years. I've been told lately to try using an infrared body wrap to help my fibro pain. I have used one a few times and it makes a world of difference. I decided to research infrared. MY question is to all of you is do any of you know anything about infrared. Is it safe to use?

Thanks Brinkers

Dollbug responded:
Hello Brinkers.....and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....interesting.....I do not know anything about infrared body wraps......where do you get these are try them? I do have feet problems and went to therapy where they use 2 machines.....it was an infrared laser machine and another one....I can not remember the name of it....and they hooked both of the machines up to me at one time...on my feet and legs....and OMG...did it ever help me....a bunch....they told me that it would last about 7-8 hours and you know....it did....made my feet and legs feel so much better....I would like to get one of these to use at home.....

I would like to know more about these body wraps.....sounds like something I would indeed try....

Anything to help.....

Have you tried to research this on line? Think I will...

Take care...and good luck...

MiMi

brinkers responded:
Hello

Usually Day Spas will have these infrared Body wraps. They wrap silicon straps around you legs, thighs, stomach and arms. You lay there for about 60 minutes. Youre fully clothed, usually in sweats because you sweat so bad. They work great, but like I said, I need to find out more about infrared.

I live in Montana

Take care brinker

aundy28570 responded:
My FM dr. uses e-stem and ultrasound. The infrared body wrap sounds interesting! If you get any info. please pass it to me!

Booch007 responded:
Red flag....red flag.

I would think this is a waste of your money. You are sweating and losing fluids your muscles need, not to mention the electrolytes as well.

At a cost of what??? A good massage therapist would probably be better money spent. I am all for a new avenue and I have tried a few, but this sounds.....not good..............................Nancy B

Socialwrkr responded:
I was wondering the same Nancy. I tried to find some info online and the most I got was how you can lose a pound of water weight and it can help some skin conditions. That left me feeling that this wasn't likely something we need!

I know after a massage, how important drinking tons more water than I normally do is. I can't imagine something like this not being risky for dehydration.

I would imagine though that the initial feeling of warmth could be nice. But, I'd rather get that from sitting in the sun!

Take care

Aimee

brinkers responded:
Hello

Sitting in the sun doesnt take my pain away. Having an infrared body wrap on for 45 minutes takes my pain away for a few days without meds. You do sweat, yes, but it cleans your cells out and gets rid of toxins. Im not wondering about the dangers of dehydration - I thought someone would know something about infrared. I have researched it and cant find anything bad on it but it is wavelengths just like microwaves, radiowaves. Ive just been wondering if it could be bad like ultraviolet rays.

kfaub replied to brinkers's response:
Not sure if anyone has visited here....I know this is a 4 year old post. However, research that I have done states Infrared technology is just like the heat from the sun without the harmful ultraviolet rays. Starting to use the Infrared body wrap in my massage practice, and I have noticed a difference in how the clients muscle tissue feel before I start the massage....makes my job a lot easier for sure!

booch007 replied to kfaub's response:
Itis me again....you don't think a hydroculator hot pak would do the same? Just warming the muscles and getting circulation up prior tot he massage?

If the client isn't paying extra for the new toy..I would be Ok with it but if I had to pay, I would want a heat pak. It does help the process of massage and movement of debris in the muscles.

How did you find a FOUR YEAR OLD POST??? Thisis amazing!

Nancy B

toscaninni replied to booch007's response:
Now you know why we say Lois Lerner's emails are NOT lost.
http://therasage.com/
Glad tidings!

toscaninni replied to Dollbug's response:
http://therasage.com

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.