Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wearing Jewelry Problem?
Dollbug posted:
Hello FMers......MiMi in NC....I have something that I have been meaning to ask others....

Does anyone else have a difficult time with wearing jewelry? I have found that I can no longer stand to wear anything.....no watch, no rings, no earrings, no necklaces.....nothing.....now, this might be because I have had so many problems with my hands, wrists and the fact that I had parathyroid surgery and cervical surgery.....my throat was cut from right side to left side....not all at one time....but all the way across it.....or perhaps my skin has gotten just too sensitive to stand the jewelry....I use to wear a watch, rings and necklaces and earrings on occasion.....but not anymore...

I have also had a problem with eye make up.....my eyes tend to water too much if I put eye make up on...again....I do not know why....

Any comments are appreciated....

Thanks,

MiMi
FirstPrevious12NextLast

pocotaz responded:
Hi MiMi,

Yes I also have skin sensitivities. I only wear my weding ring and earings that stay in my ears. Anything else just aggravates my skin. I do wear a watch but take it off alot.

I told my Ruemy yesterday about my skin being on fire and he said that the nerves are sensitive.

So count me in.

Linda

MagPrincess responded:
Yes MiMi,

I can not stand to wear a watch and many times even the seatbelt aggrivates my shoulder/clavical.

I have never been able to wear eye makeup for the same reason. Now i just go all natural.

I would take my rings off but i cant get them off and they do bug me i am constantly moving them around.

I think Linda is right that it is just the nerves tend to be super sensetive.

cactusflower1963 responded:
I do wear jewelry but it has to be gold. I can't wear cheap stuff it causes rashes and blisters on my skin.

I wear mascara and eyeliner but no eye shadow. I don't seem to have any sensitivities. (just allergies)

pnaturegirl responded:
Hi Mimi!

I do wear earrings and one ring on left hand my sister bought me years ago for Xmas.

That is is though, I usually feel uncomfortable and some of that is due to my cleaning as well.

SoBeLiz responded:
I can't really wear jewelry either mimi, only thing I can stand to wear is my engagement ring which is pure silver, and my silver necklace with my wedding ring on it - we didn't find out I was allergic to white gold until we started to wear our bands, and by that point, we couldn't return it (only 30 day return since it was custom ordered) so around the neck it goes, and it blisters my neck if I forget to put it on top of my shirt. And makeup? Lipstick is about all I can put on, if I bother, my constant need for chapstick makes lipstick pointless. Anything else just breaks me out bad. Haven't been able to wear any kind of watch, fabric or metal in years. And on bad days, I can't wear either the ring or the necklace, the slightest rubbing makes me jumpier than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Tricia

TJAlex responded:
Hi MiMi,

I can't ware jewelry either. I try when we go out to ware a necklace and ring, but half the time it isn't on long. I do ware my wedding rings, but there are days that I can't stand to ware them. They are also a size larger now, because my hands swell so badly. I have also found that necklaces seem to set off my migraines at times.

TJ

Booch007 responded:
Oh Mimi,

PLEASE, OH PLEASE, tell me that this is not the future......

I am known for the glitz....it is a trick for me. To sparkle during the day, have a beatiful ring on that DH gave me, a necklace from the kids.....getting the stuff to all match.............Mmmmmmm.

I will crumble if that is the future. Maybe you are just having a sensitive time right now. Sis doesn't wear necklaces because of the heat in Florida.She find it makes her uncomfortable.........wild earrings though

Eye makeup is a bit sensitive. I use Almay only. Remember I had the surgery for not waearing glasses and it has my eyes very dry and sensitive,. But Almay is OK......rare shadow, just liner and mascara.

So, I hope it is not the future you show me............ I am known for the glitz.....................Nancy B You know there is a childrens book series called (Fancy Nancy......that is the nickname handed me by some... )

Dollbug responded:
Hello Nana B......this is why I asked.......perhaps mine is from all the problems that I have had with carpal tunnel and my hands.....and neck....but I truly can not stand jewelry....and yes, I also use to be like you......I would always have at least a watch and rings on and a bracelet....but not now....nothing.....I can not stand for anything to be close to my skin.....I even hate bras....so go figure....there are a lot of things that I do not understand about me....the older I get, the worse it gets....I have no idea if this was FM related or just me...I have a lot of beautiful jewelry that I guess my daughter will get.....that I can not wear now.....and I have tried....but just can not do it...

I do put make up on....but no eye make up....my eyes can not stand that either....so I have no idea what this is....and I use to wear that also....

I guess this is just me now though.....because I am one of the few people, I guess, who also can not sleep in a bed.....I can lay down for a few minutes and get all stopped up and can not breathe and if I lay for long....my back hurts so much that I can not stand myself....I have actually gotten up sick to my stomach from being in so much pain.....I know this has something to do with my spine....and my neck....what? I have no clue....

Nana B....perhaps this is just me getting old.....heaven only knows.....

I do hope you are doing well today.....rested up from the week-end.....and I hope you have a wonderful week......I am still anxiously waiting on my new arrival....I looked up there this early morning and could not tell whether the vehicles were there.....so I guess I will have to wait until I talk to one of them....

I hope Olivia Rose is doing well also.....aren't they so special? I sure do love my little ones....

Take care.

MiMi

ZannaDo responded:
I wear a plain gold wedding band, but that's it. If we go out I try to gussy up a little and I'll wear some Brighton jewelry I have but anything with beads drives me nuts. I have never been a jewelry wearer regularly, but now I couldnt if I wanted to.

Anything I wear has to be light weight and I can't have it on for more than an hour or so. Earrings - forget it. Headache city.

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Suzanne

Anjl26 responded:
The only thing I have a problem with now is heavy necklaces. The big, clunky necklaces are so "in" but whenever I try to wear one, it lasts less than an hour. It just pulls on my neck too much.

I stopped wearing earrings 20 years ago. My ears would get sore and infected, no matter what kind I wore.. cheap, gold, silver, it didn't matter.

maryfey59 responded:
I cannot wear heavy jewelry. I get bad headaches and sometimes my entire face, ears and throat hurts. My skin does Not break out. I can wear light jewelry. Why am I having this issue? It was never a issue when I was young.

bette_kaffitz replied to maryfey59's response:
maryfey,

As you can see, many of us cannot wear jewelry. Some of us can wear real gold, but not the cheap stuff. My sister (who can afford real gold) clued me in. It's a nickle allergy. Most jewelry is made from mixtures of metal. One of these metals, nickle, is a major problem for many people--even those without fibro.

When my mother passed away, I inherited her good earings (bought, of course, by my sister). They are fine. No redness. No itch. No pain. The following Christmas, my hubby bought me just one gift--a pair of pearl studs with 18 k. posts and clasp. I wear them whenever we go out.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
I have a little makeup I wear very seldom--like maybe for church. Day to day I don't use any make up or jewelry.
Make up just doesn't feel good on my skin. Also I wash my face with plain water almost never soap.

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Mary,

First, have you tried the Dove bar soap in the sensitive formula? It's the white box with the green writing. I used to use the original Dove, but the cold cream smell got to be too much. I started using Dove in H.S.! When they came out with this new formula, I was overjoyed.

Second, my dear friend, neighbor, and super hairdresser (she spends 1 hour just cutting your hair--perfectly!) finally told me about how she got and kept her beautiful ivory skin. She uses soap in the shower each morning, but each night she "washes" her face with good, old Vaseline. She uses a hand towel to remove the Vaseline. If she is wearing makeup, she does this twice--once to take off the makeup and once to clean her skin. She's 71 and has NO wrinkles. (I love her her anyway. We've raised our kids together, survived her diabetic daughter's death and my son's suicide attempts. Now that's a friend. I just wish she'd told me about the Vaseline in our 30's.

Also, Neutragena makes a tinted moisturizer that I wear instead of makeup. It's light. I actually forget it's on. Doesn't happen with makeup.

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
457 of 532 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.