Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
fibromyalgia and hot tubs
jo388 posted:
We just purchased a hot tub and I was in it last night for the first time. This morning I woke up with a major fibro attack. The last time I had an attack was about a month ago, after swimming in a heated pool and then sitting in a hot tub. I thought hot tubs were supposed to be good for fibromyalgia. I am wondering if this is just a coincidence or has anyone else had a similar experience? This fibro is so hard. Thanks for any input.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Jo.....MiMi in NC....this is a surprise to me.....and quite interesting.....I would have thought that this would be a good thing....perhaps you stayed in too long....or was the temp too high....I know that when I take a shower.....(not able to take baths) that I turn the water on....stop up the drain and put lavender bath salts in the water......right before I get ready to sleep.....(I can not sleep in a bed) that I feel so very relaxed....and this helps me a lot....and I do take really hot showers....as hot as I can stand it.... So this does seem odd to me....perhaps this was just a timing issue.....that you were going to have a flare regardless of what you did....I have no answers....sorry.....I just wanted to comment.... Perhaps you just need to experiment with this issue.....and see what happens....I am sure that this is like anything else....what works for some may or may not work for others.....but I certainly would not give up on enjoying your new hot tub......and please, please update us on how this is going for you........ Take care and good luck.... MiMi

Anjl26 responded:
I LOVE the hot tob! It's wonderful for getting deep heat into the muscles and relaxing. Perhaps you have the temp too high or the force of the jets is so high that it's like a massage. That can be good, but massages make me majorly sore for a few days. I'd say, if you can adjust the flow thru the jets, turn them down a bit and see if that helps. Or try moving further away from the jet outlets so that you aren't getting a direct pounding from the water. You could even try just sitting in the hot tub, without the jets on and see what happens. It'll take a little trial and error until you find what's right for you.

jo388 responded:
Thanks for your input Mimi. I too was surprised, and certainly won't give up on the hot tub just yet! I have always taken hot showers...can't take tub baths either. The temp in the hot tub was 101 degrees. I was in the tub for about a half hour, 45 minutes. Then got out and took a shower. The last time I was in a hot tub was at the gym, where I am only able to do the heated pool and hot tub (can't do anything else due to FM). The next day, I had a major fm attack. Haven't been back to the gym since. After that, dr increased Lyrica to 100 mg three times a day and I have felt like a different person this month. Not one twinge of fm, until this morning, after sitting in hot tub last night. So weird! But, I know there is no rhyme or reason that sets off an attack, so it certainly could be total coincidence. Just had to ask and see if anyone else had any issues. I am never the "norm!" Jo

jo388 responded:
Thanks so much for your input, Sharon. I just responded to Mimi...I won't be giving up on the hot tub just yet! I will try experimenting with different settings, temp, etc. It could have been total coincidence...just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar. I have always loved hot showers. I am unable to bear a regular massage, only the myofascial release. So, maybe jets were too strong. Thanks again for your advice. Jo

annette030 responded:
I love mine, can't imagine life without it. That said, my rheumy told me there was about a 50/50 split in his patients, half loved it and half complained about it and stopped using it. He suggested trying one somewhere before buying one. I did, and ran out as soon as I could and bought one. I would keep trying it and see what happens. If you get a worse feeling each time you use it, stop. Take care, Annette

AislinKagami responded:
I think I'm in the fifty percent that can't handle it. I try hot baths to help and I end up in tears. Extreme temps both cold and hot simply set me off. _____

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
364 of 391 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.