Skip to content
Lyrica BAD! Bad Lyrica!!
Yayabay06 posted:
OK you guys...... We all react different from meds. We can take it one day but not the next etc etc etc..... My pain was so bad so I took a leftover Lyrica last night. OMG!!! I have done it before since I stopped taking it regularly. This time, YIKES!! I feel like I have been hit by a convoy of tractor trailors!!!!! Oh, not just one mack but a peterbuilt and such times 100!!! I am walking around drunk this am!!! Not good not good zat all!!! I The paiin is there!! Oh yeah!!! What the???? This is ridiculous!! I am practically permanently cross eyed!!! Lyrica is so powerful!!! I think about when the anesthesiologist (when I got my GB out) and he told me that Lyrica has a little (oh what is that pain med they give you in the hospital that starts with M?) MORPHINE!!!! That is why we feel like we do with this med! Sorry to baabble but .... I will catch up I have to take Alex to school now....... :eek: :pbpt: :goofy:
FirstPrevious12NextLast

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
Yes, Lyrica was BAD for me too!!! :angry: It made me slur my words...if I could even think of what word I wanted to say...lost balace ALL the time....it was nasty stuff!

Yayabay06 responded:
Funny~ I took i for almost 2 years and the fog is just as bad now as it was on the Lyrica but I do not feel as numb and pounded when I am off Lyrica. I like the off Lyrica feeling better. Pain is even less!!!! aarrgghhhh! We are all so dif at any time!!

1tiredcat responded:
I have been here for a only few months, so I don't know ya"ll as well as you know each other. So, I have to ask... were you kidding?!?! If not, please read what you wrote.... You did talk about how drunk you were feeling on a med; then you had to go "to take Alex to school". Is Alex a child? What if...you hurt him, or for that matter, hurt anyone else, even yourself ? In my state DUI the I means influence. It could be alcohol, or prescription meds you are taking as ordered. You are the responsible one to say "I feel too bad to drive" We all are responsible when this is involved. We all have to be careful about this.

imouse responded:
:angry: I don't know why Lyrica is being touted as being so dog gone helpful. I haven't heard anyone who's taken it say its helpful, rather it's hurtful.. HELLO FDA are you listening in? I took Lyrica last Spring as a replacement for Gabapentin and OMG was I in a world of pain three days later when I went off it. I felt like I had been run over by a Mac truck after it wore off. I called and got my Gabapentin refiled. I let my Rheumy know asap that for one it didn't help me out with the deep pain and made me sleepy than all get out for two. Then I put the word out that it IS NOT a drug a choice for FM sufferers. Sorry you had to go Thu its nasty effects, like you needed more medical issues to deal with. Linda R

cactusflower1963 responded:
I take lyrica and it is helpful for me. I have to say though, I think the statement that it contains morphine is wrong. I am allergic to morphine and do not have the reaction I would have if it contained morphine.

1tiredcat responded:
I tried Lyrica when it first came out. It really was amazing those first few days. It felt like the pain was evaporating out of my body through my skin. I know how strange that may sound. I was very loopie for a few days. After a few days, it was like a miracle med for me. I felt sooo good. I had a bad side effect of sudden weight gain of maybe 25 pounds . Finally decided that I had to stop it. And I lost the weight. Over time I have tried the gabpendin right now being the third try, and its the same side effect of weight gain. So, I have gone off it, lost the weight, tried again, gained the weight. It is really a shame. Then the weight gain causes so many more problems. Just can't do it.

tavstar1 responded:
I was on it for a year.... it was strange. But i too, react strongly to morphine and had no reaction to lyrica. coming off was harder than starting it. i took it at night, and i can say that it helped me sleep. as for FM relief, not really. It has something of the same class of drugs as the anti-seziuer meds, not morphine. ( too bad sometimes) morphine paralyizied me, so if it morphine it it, i would not have been able to function. I felt like i did when i was on topomax, but not as badly. this is what i found: lyrica-Pregabalin is described chemically as (S)-3-(aminomethyl)-5-methylhexanoic acid. The molecular formula is C8H17NO2 and the molecular weight is 159.23. I gained weight too. I was 100lbs when i started it, 120lbs when i stopped. byt 6 months later, i was down from a size 6 to a size 2... what i had always been. it wasn't all that great for FM. Noratrypltiln has worked TONS better for me wihtout all the goofyness. I can slepp, i don't ache/ tingle/swell/ and my iBS is controlled. as long as i don't drink a ton of grape juice like i did for the last 3 days.... caught up with me last night! :coolfrown:

Grapedy responded:
If there was even a miniscule amount of morphine in Lyrica, or anything else resembling morphine, it would be a schedule II drug. Which means NO refills on it and you must have a written prescription every single time. The amount of people taking it would be very small indeed. Lyrica is in the same class of drugs as Neurontin, aka gabapentin. It's an anti-seizure med. My mom takes Lyrica and can't imagine going without it. It works great for her. Her sister, my aunt Deb, has FM too and is diabetic. She's on Neurontin but it doesn't do much and she desperately wants to try the Lyrica but her doc won't switch her.

rember2 responded:
lyrica woo hoo , It doesnt stop any pain but i dont care i am so loopy ,I need to wean off of it because now I have no insurance ,It really makes sleeping easy at night and day and any time i move .I feel like a zombies that wants to eat all sweet things in sight ,I have been on it for a month and its making me hungry thats all .the nortrytaline was better for pain but I was composing suicide notes so there is 1 plus for lyrica,I just lost my insurance because i cant pay the raise for cobra 6 mo. ext. cause we are bearly surviving now ,i have to figure out how to get the meds i need for crohns and just forget anyhting else not on the 4$ list at walmart.....Dustee

Yayabay06 responded:
I would NEVER endanger my precious child's life. I appreciate the concern and that is why I do NOT take all of these meds. The "drunk" effect was when I first got up, byt the time I took her to school I was feeling much much bettter. Yes, I do believe in every state, under the influence is under the influence of anything. Again, I would NEVER endanger her. I am very in control of my meds. I will not take your post as an insult. I hope it wasn't meant to insult my intelligence...... I was simply explaining how these meds are evil with a little exaggeration.

Agirl17 responded:
Dustie, This may help you, last year when I lost my insurance I had to have my lyrica and I was provided it for free, through a pratnership for priscription assistance program. You can call the makers of lyrica and get an application or assistance for free or reduced price med. When the help of a few signatures from y docs and some papers mailed in I got my Lyrica every month in the mail for free for one. year. I have taken 300mg a day of Lyrcia for almost 2yrs now. Hope this is any bit helpful!

mamawrobyn responded:
I tried Lyrica twice and got to the highest dosage and didnt touch the pain. Gabapentin I do take 4800 mgs a day it is working so far klonipin .5 3x a day and now take nortriptaline at bedtime. I just saw a pain management doctor he I was real close to the max on meds but I had already tried every med available.So I hope for more research.

sugurb responded:
I know 4 people that took Lyrica and 3 of them lost their minds while on it. 1 walked out the door in the middle of the night to roam the neighbor hood. 1 is now being charged with attempted murder. and 1 was in such a drug induced coma like state that her friends walked out on her. I'm glad to of read this to learn that there is Morphine in Lyrica. That makes a ton of sense as to why these 3 women 2 with Fybro & 1 with Shingles pain act like they are LSD while taking it. and as to why a 4th broke out into a rash. LYRICA IS BAD NEWS!!!!

bcbailey1977 replied to sugurb's response:
I am a certified pharmacy tech. This is my main reference guide on RX List.com. Or you can look on the Lyrica website.

Lyrica does not contain morphine. Lyrica is a reformulation of gabapentin. This is from RXList.com. This is out of the clinical pharmacology section.

LYRICA (pregabalin) binds with high affinity to the alpha2-delta site (an auxiliary subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels) in central nervous system tissues. Although the mechanism of action of pregabalin is unknown, results with genetically modified mice and with compounds structurally related to pregabalin (such as gabapentin) suggest that binding to the alpha2-delta subunit may be involved in pregabalin's antinociceptive and antiseizure effects in animal models. In vitro, pregabalin reduces the calcium-dependent release of several neurotransmitters, possibly by modulation of calcium channel function.

Pregabalin does not block sodium channels, is not active at opiate receptors, and does not alter cyclooxygenase enzyme activity. It is inactive at serotonin and dopamine receptors and does not inhibit dopamine, serotonin, or noradrenaline reuptake.

I am a certified pharmacy tech manager who specializes in pain management.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.