Skip to content
FACT OR FICTION? Full Moon
fibropain1 posted:
Hello Family! :grin: Hope everyone has had a low pain day and that everyone has been able to share all their experiences from the weekend and Mother's Day! One thing that I noticed on a lot of today's posts was that a lot of us did not get much/any sleep. Is there a Full Moon? I do not know that there is any scientific basis for this, but it seems more babies are born when there is a full moon. Statistics show that there is more crime when there is a full moon. What other things have you heard about The Full Moon? It doesn't matter if it is FACT or FICTION? What do you think about the Full Moon? "WOOOO!!" :chagrin: :goofy: :goofy: Ann :smile:
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Socialwrkr responded:
I used to work at a crisis telephone agency. We tracked the full moon, and always noticed a trend of more calls and more serious calls. So, the policy was that you had to have more experienced staff on full moon nights. It was simply fact for us to have horrible nights. The police I've worked with over the years have also said they see an increase in crime and just plain weirdness. Aimee

jeepinchic34 responded:
I work in a nursing home and we truly dread the full moon. More behaviors happen, they (elderly) tend to fall more often than they normally do :frown: I do believe that the full moon effects people. The moon controls the tides right? So if you think about it we are made 75% water (I think), why wouldn't it effect us!! :smile: Cara :smile:

TJAlex responded:
I worked in retail management at a big box store for years. There is a deffinant difference in people during the full moon. They are crankier and get irritated very easily. It was other associates also, it wasn't always the customers. Everyone hated being manager on duty during the full moon. TJ

Dollbug responded:
Hello Ann......MiMi in NC....on this yet again early Tuesday morning.....It is Tuesday.....I think....my days and nights all roll into one lately....not a good thing....trying to keep up with everything right now is not one of my top things to do....especially since my mind and my body is not on the same wave at this time.....OMG....it gets to the point where the line is so fine between night and day that I can not keep up with it.....except I do know when it is dark outside..... Full moon? Well, my take on that is....that is must have something to do with us....there are more people out on the full moon.....and people sometimes who one wonders what they are doing out.... it is true.....I think....the saying "people are coming out of the woodwork"......if you have ever heard this ole saying......and yes, I do think it is true....well, why wouldn't it be....if our bodies can tell when it is going to rain....I am sure we also know when there is a full moon out....there use to be something also weirwolfs and then coming out on a full moon......I can not remember exactly how it goes...but I do know it meant strange things happen when the full moon is out....I know when my dad was in nursing home.....I heard the nurses and workers talk about how things get so out of hand when there is a full moon.....so fact or fiction......who knows? I would say there must be something true concerning it.... Here is hoping that by now you have drifted off to get some much needed rest and most of the other people I suppose are doing.....oh, by the way? Is there a full moon out tonight? Perhaps this is the reason that we are not sleeping.......strange, isn't it? Take care. MiMi

Booch007 responded:
No ONe wanted to work at the hospital on the FULL MOON..... I say yes...the moons polarity absolutely changes things...... Both boys born on the full moon (2 weeks early) and crazy history in the hospital on nights of the full moons..(no specifics!!) :goofy: :ooh: :pbpt: Yes, Yes Yes........................................Nancy B :wink:

Kittersplat responded:
It really doesn't make sense, the moon doesn't change polarity, it doesn't have more gravitational pull, all it does is reflect more light at us. However, I have always had trouble sleeping during full moons. My mom and sister are the same way.

Daffyd3031 responded:
I haven't been sleeping well either but never associated it to a full moon!! Also - the full moon was on Saturday May 9th. I know this because work was so insane last week that I looked it up! Patti

annette030 responded:
I am an old nurse and we always swore that the psych unit was busier, the ER was busier, and more women had babies during the full moons. But they have done accurate studies and there is no correlation between moon phases and increases in any of these kinds of things. I think we just noticed the full moon and attributed the busyness on the unit to the moon phase. Take care, Annette

Littlefox77 responded:
Hi Ann, I believe it is true what they say. It was a full moon on Sat. the 9th. And yes, I do notice that I have a flare up, I had a three headache. :pbpt: The crazies come out.

momoathome responded:
Hi there all :sheepish: Realize this is like 3 days after the first post - but wanted to add my experience. As a nurse - hooo-boy - whatever was a normal odd behavior became worse.... My patients did fall more... and I gave out a LOT more psych meds.... I also asked our psyche APRN to come back in the midst of a full moon just for kicks... she did, and the look on her face was OMG !!! I also noticed that during a "new moon", my patients would display new & unusual behaviors: they would do & say things they would never do or say the rest of the month. Does anyone remember the episode on "ER" called "Full Moon Saturday Night".... it was the funniest and best episode I watched.... I think they researched and compiled all the funniest stuff they could show.... Back to the convalescent home..... Men, of which my last unit was more than half -(18 actually) all become "horney and grumpy old men" Ohhhhhh,,,,, the offers I would get :eyeroll: :sealed: I agree that the moon has an effect on this entire earth, why else would God have made it... On a personal note - I want to drink alcohol more, want to go out more, but hurt like the dickens! Momo :wink:

Nesarian responded:
And the debate rages on....yes, studies have shown that full moons do not have an effect on behavior. However, anyone who has done a research study knows how they can be skewed to your desired results. As a behavioral scientist, I disagree. The examples given lend credence to my point. Does a behavior exist only when research says it does? Think carefully before you answer. FM exists and many researchers say it does not.

annette030 responded:
I was working ER when the last nursing study I saw on this topic came out. I am aware that studies can be skewed, but there was no incentive in this one to sell drugs or anything. It was not even done to affect staffing at any of the hospitals that were involved. I have done medical research and am well trained in how to set up a study, and what makes one study better than another. Anecdotal information is best avoided completely. The last study I recall was done by nurse researchers and they simply used the ER patient logs and birth records from several urban hospitals and counted the number of births and ER admissions and correlated it to the moon phases. They did this for one year, and hundreds of patients/births. A study like this is far more accurate than anecdotal memories of what one remembers happening during a full moon. After the study came out, we did our own research at our ER just to disprove it. Surprise, they were right. I have also worked mental health hospitals and OB units. I found this to be one of the nursing myths that I have encountered over 39 years of nursing. Take care, Annette

fibroinsd responded:
Can I blame my craving ice cream on the full moon??? cece

fibroinsd responded:
how about can I blame it on the full moon, the waxing moon, the waning moon, the quarter moon, the three quarter moon, ... :pbpt: :pbpt: :pbpt: :pbpt: :pbpt: cece

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.