Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Jury Duty Excuse?
ZannaDo posted:
Hello All I just got my summons again for jury duty. What a pain! They don't seem to care that I have 2 school age kids that need me to be there after school. But I can't imagine having to sit there all that time, not to mention trying to focus while I'm all spacy from meds. I took the paperwork in to my regular doctor to try to get a medical excuse. Have any of you had to do this? Were you successful? I'm so afraid they won't let me off and I'll have to go. Besides my fibro, my degenerated spine and my depression, the worry of my kids having to come home to an empty house scares me. Last time I got excused, but not until I had to be there for 2 days straight waiting to get called in front of the lawyers. Anybody have an experience with this? Hugs, Suzanne

cactusflower1963 responded:
If you have a child under 10 y/o that is an excuse to not have to go. Kim

indyfox responded:
Suzanne, Does you summons have a spot for postponeing it? I postponed until summer and then luckily my number wasn't called. Sue

aundy28570 responded:
I was summons a few months ago and was like you,knowing there was no way I could sit in a courtroom all day! I got a letter from my family dr with all my disabilites and took it in ahead of time and before the date came up got a letter saying I was excused. The only thing is my dr worded it that it was problems having now and not like it was long term so they excused me till next yr so I will have to get another one done then. My fibro dr told me he would have gave me one also so next time I will get one from him cause he will probably put this as a permanent disabilty being he knows fibro doesnt go away then hopefully I wont have to get anymore letters and know more summons. When you dr gives you the letter instead of mailing you might want to take it to the courthse ahead of time so they will have time to respond before your jury date if that is something you can do. Hope you get it all worked out!

Nesarian responded:
Hi Suzanne, Living in a rural area left few to choose from so I was summoned yearly. Each year my Dr dutifully wrote a letter. When I was declared permanently disabled, that letter went to the court and I have never been summoned since. It is a pain to have to do the yearly letter thing but, until it is documented that your disability is permanent, it has to be done. Hang in there and think of this as a foundation you are building for your future when you no longer get these summons! Hope this helps! Butterfly hugs to you!

fibroinsd responded:
On the back of the summons are lists of things that can excuse you. One time I went in, and got called for a jury and told them I had teenagers at home that were probably causing problems and they excused me then. But check out the back of the summons. You might just have to sign it and send it in. Cece

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.