Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Joints popping/cracking
KoriJo73 posted:
HI everyone, happy Monday!

I've been having joint pain for quite awhile but recently my joints have been cracking and popping like crazy. Sometimes my neck and back feel really stiff (which is normal for FM I think?) but they seem to be even more stiff lately and when I move it feels like every bone in my back or neck pops and it's pretty uncomfortable, after my neck pops I have a burning feeling in that area. I was recently diagnosed with FM so I really don't fully understand it or know which symptoms could be related but I have had the muscle achiness and some pain which I think was in my joints but I didn't have the popping until recently. I'm trying to figure out if this is related to FM, does anybody else have this? I'm just concerned this could do damage to the joints, like wear them down or something.

Nesarian responded:
Hi Kori,

This is something great to bring up to your doctor. The burning is nerve related (neuropathy) and could be a sign of nerve impingement. The popping is not something any doctor of mine ever got excited over. Have them explain it you and I bet you will relax about it. The burning is different though and needs to be looked at. Keep a journal of how long it has been going on and what helps, what hurts. Posture can be a big factor in our pain. Thus, the importance of core strengthening exercises so we can maintain healthy posture and not put undue pressure on our spine and nerves.

Keeping muscles strong allows me to maintain proper posture. Otherwise, I tend to hunch over and compress my nerves to my neck and arms and create all sorts of problems for myself.

Having FM is a full time job in the beginning. There is so much to learn about and adjust to and adopt as a new lifestyle. It requires adapting to new perspectives about everything. The guides I had were so helpful as I felt like a newborn child who had to grow up and develop life skills in stages. Only I was in my 30s and everyone expected me to function the same as I looked the same. It is a challenging condition. My best advice is to write everything down that works for you and why, as I always forgot as soon as that particular pain let up. If I had kept a journal as I was advised to do, I would have a fabulous toolbox of tried and true techniques to rely upon.

Long winded and off topic but I hope you are able to gain something useful from all this!

JoJaJoJo responded:
You should definitely check with your doctor. I am about to bring up the same thing at my next appt. I am so afraid of getting joint damage. Before I was diagnosed with FM, i went to a chiropractor who said my joints were wearing away at an accelerated rate and my orthopedist was certain that I had RA despite my fluctuating test results. My rheumy says its FM and that my joints are fine, but she hasn't really checked them so idk... it makes me nervous so i try to stay on top of it. So yea go to your doctor if you feel something is up. Good Luck!!

~~Jodi

ksget responded:
Hi, did you ever find out what was causing your popping joints? I am popping all over and this is a real concern as my doctor cannot tell me what it is.

dollbug responded:
Hello KoriJo.....and welcome....I do not think I have "talked" to you.....MiMi in NC.....I use to have the joint popping and cracking sensation also....have you tried a joint supplement?
You might want to speak to your doctor about this....but the doctor will probably not think this is anything to worry about...when my joints popped and cracked though...it hurt my body....

I have had 4 right knee surgeries.....due to an accident that I had at the Atlanta Airport back in the 80's....I have had lots of problems with pain....but now I take joint supplements, Omegas, Vitamin D, magnesium and malate, Calcium and Super B Complex for my FM pain....I have learned how to "control my pain" by doing so...

I hope you will ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is also very important for a lot of us FMers....Low Vitamin D is common and can cause some of us additional pain....it is a simple blood test....but you MUST ASK the doctor to check it...

I also had a lot of popping and cracking in the neck area....but I have since had cervical surgery and since my surgery....I have no longer had the popping and cracking....I think some of mine were due to the discs problems that I was having...

I hope this helps....please review the info under tips and resources....as you will find lots of good info....especially the member toolbox and nutrition and vitamins....

I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments or suggestions.....this is a unique FM support group....and you will learn a lot here and I am sure that soon you will feel better too....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

georgia888 responded:
Hi KoriJo,
I, too, have lots of cracking & popping which is more related to myofascial pain syndrome (mps) than the fibro. There is much good information online describing & comparing the various symptoms of fibro & mps. I suffer from both. I was reassured by a couple of doctors that the cracking & popping is caused by gases & not a concern unless there is pain involved. Please speak to your doctor as you described a burning sensation in conjunction with these sounds. My noises occur in the thoracic area of the back & also in my knees & ankles. Most of my pain is througout my back, neck & legs.

Please speak to your doctor & search online for information on these conditions. Many doctors are in the dark about fibro & mps. It is up to us to learn as much as possible.

Take good care,
georgia

Tany84 responded:
I agree with the others, you should talk to your dr. I do that too. I can just curl my toes and they crack and pop. I have arthritis as well so I think part of it is related to that.

Brittany

chand78 replied to Nesarian's response:
Hi

Please give your guide and tips, I am having lot of mucle pain in neck, back and lot of pooing sound, I tried all medcine, nothing worked. Please help by giing ur tips. Doctors ttook all test and says negative and tired of doctors and med icines. Any tips appreciated. Thanks!!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
461 of 536 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.