Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
BLOOD TEST FOR FM**

missist responded:
It is interesting--although there are people with Fibro that have arthritis too--so that's a problem.

The guy is a vet--but also a PHD--so that needs weighing.

The big problem though is that he did not include people who do not have ANY of those things. without a normal control all he really has is proof that fibro is not OA or RA.
Which is already known.

So frustrating isnt it that there are no big studies on something so many people have.

Anon_501 replied to missist's response:
According to the above info it reads the following:

That pattern — a biological "fingerprint" of fibromyalgia — was then tested in a blind study against blood samples from patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. The blood test confirmed, with 100% accuracy, which patients had fibromyalgia.

"It separated them completely, with no misclassifications," Buffington said. "That's very important. It never mistook a patient with fibromyalgia for a patient with arthritis. Clearly we need more numbers, but this showed the technique is quite effective."

missist replied to Anon_501's response:
I may need to read it a few more times. I keep thinking how does he know it is fibromyalgia in the pattern? if he didn't compare to normal controls?

did I miss that somehow?
I mean it may be a pattern everyone has.. I will read it again.
I've mis read things before.

missist replied to missist's response:
I guess he must have been using normal controls at the start. otherwise I don't think this could have been done.

I was thinking its sad that we need a 'vet' to do research. Having a frustrating day--so don't mind me--I just thought it was kind of ironic.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.