Fibromyalgia pain management
ctFibro posted:
I have Fibromyalgia and neuropathy due to Diabetes. I'm taking Lyrica 200 mg twice daily. It helps both problems although there are some days where it doesn't seem to be enough. When I've ate sweets or lots of carbs I feel much worse, so I do believe diet has a huge impact. I also use a Flector patch which is a prescription patch that can be cut to size and put anywhere on your body, like a bandaid. I use them at bedtime and wear it all night. I have, on occasion, used it during the day. I keep an active Rx for it just in case I need it.
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Wolfsong452 responded:
I was on lyrcia, but I felt it wasn't doing any good. So I asked my pain management doctor to try something else.

I am now taking 2 anti-depressants and a muscle relaxer at bedtime.

Since it's so cold, and I"m in and out of the car before I can get warmed up, I feel like I"m in a flare all the time.

I'm going to ask my pain managment doctor what I could do about this.

it's impossible to keep from having these transitions of warm-cold etc.

What's a body to do?

Dress warm, but, it's very cold!

jewessjeans replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Winter is the worst for me, too... I use those thermacare heat wraps when I'm out, and a heating pad and/or electric blanket when I'm home. I also keep a space heater by my bed, even though we have central heating as well.

Of course, because of the side effects of my medications, I sweat like crazy even when it's freezing out, but at least I'm in less pain than I was.

Temperature sensitivity is one of the symptoms of fibro, so we have to do what we can. I joined a gym that has a sauna, and I go as often as possible during the winter. The dry heat is invaluable for me. I also stretch (if I'm in a flare), or exercise (when I'm at a "manageable" level of pain). That helps warm me up, and hot baths (with LOTS of Epsom Salts)... I've been known to take 3 a day during a flare.

Unfortunately, it's once of those things we have to live with, but do whatever you have to do to try and lessen the pain that comes with winter -- extra blankets (I even keep one in the car), they even have heated mattress pads now... or use an old fashioned hot water bottle.

You may also want to talk to your pain mgmt doctor about actual pain medicine... Lyrica is not the only option.

Good luck, and let's all pray that summer comes quickly!

Wolfsong452 replied to jewessjeans's response:
thanks for the ideas.

I'm going on Jan. 5, 2011 to see the pain doctor.

There's got to be something that I can do to keep warm when I HAVE TO GO out.