Skip to content
ambien for sleep
Marylyce posted:
I read many posts here how ambien was great for sleep.So I asked my doctor for some. I took 1 pill of the smallest dose and was out like a light in 10 minutes. My family called 911 cause I was asleep but having jerky movements. I was amnesiatic and didn't remember a thing but then slept well for the night. When I awoke I found a bandaid on my finger and my husband told me what happened. We have a good friend that has her PHD in Pharmacology and caled her. As soon as I said I took clonidine just before the ambien she said thats what did it. I had a rare interaction with it. Now I am not taking ambien. This is just a heads up for those of you who take meds that go to the brain.
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

NeNe_11 responded:
I've taken 10 mg of mbien every nite for the past 3 years with no problems whatsoever!

dinamom replied to NeNe_11's response:
I am wondering if yo could help me out with something. I am trying to join this support group and when I try to post it says the page is not available!!

Please tell me how to...I did register..

Thanks so much for an help...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dinamom's response:
Hi Dinamom,

This may be happening due to some lag issues which will be fixed soon.

It looks like you did manage to get on here, though, and we hope you'll keep persisting. When you post and get that message, try refreshing the page; often your post is there after all.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

pixe5 responded:
In my humble opinion I think ambien is a dangerous drug. Not only would I "sleep eat", but I drove on the damned stuff, with not much memory of it the next day. Be Careful People!

The FDA should ban this drug and others like it.

Luvmygreys replied to pixe5's response:
I have used Ambien for over 2 years with no problem. Before Ambien I had a horrible problem falling and staying asleep. The ache and pain in my legs and body was awful. Now I get a good 6 to 8 hours sleep which makes getting up in the morning much easier. I know some people have had problems with it but I don't know what I would do without it.

annette030 replied to Luvmygreys's response:
I agree with you. All meds can cause problems for some people. I don't know what I would do without it either.

I have no side effects other than having little memory of conversations I have after taking it. But since I take it as I get into bed, that really is not a big deal. My husband knows not to discuss anything important at that time of night.

I have taken it for nearly 15 years now. I rarely miss a night. I have not eaten in my sleep, nor do I drive in my sleep. I always give myself 8-10 hours after I take it, before I have to do anything requiring my complete attention. I no longer work, so I don't know how it would work for me if I had to get up and pay attention early in the morning.

I did stop taking it for a couple of weeks while my son was on his third deployment in Iraq. I couldn't sleep even with it. My doctor tried me on several other drugs, that either didn't work or caused severe side effects. She finally put me back on ambien at a slightly higher dose and it worked well. I have stayed on it ever since.

I believe that anyone who does take this or any mind altering drug, should have someone nearby to keep an eye on things and make certain all is well. But if you get more benefits than ill effects, why not?

Take care, Annette

janniekay replied to annette030's response:
What was the dose he put you on, the higher dose?
thank you!

annette030 replied to janniekay's response:
I went from 10 mg. every night, to 15 mg. every night. My doc is wonderful, she rocks. She was so patient as we went through various drugs. Finally after a couple of weeks, she just said "Hey, the ambien worked, lets just try a little more of it."

I do my things also, exercise for an hour a day, sitting in the hot tub for 20 minutes just before bed, no reading or TV in bed, etc.

Take care, Annette

KMT333 responded:
The best sleep I've had in 37 years was while on ambien. HOWEVER, I stopped taking it after some weird effects. I would forget things that happened before sleeping, like sex. Also, one night I woke my hubby up to show him orange squares on the wall that were moving...??? But the thing that made me give it up, in spite of feeling like I was getting the best rest of my life, was the night my hubby woke up and found me rummaging around in my drug drawer looking for "the boxes you can eat." We think I was looking for leftovers to eat, but what if I had eaten my pills instead?! Too scary. No more ambien for me.

annette030 replied to KMT333's response:
Amnesia around the time one takes the pill is fairly common. I keep it on my night stand and take it as I get ready for bed. Usually, I do have vague memories of conversations with my husband around bedtime.

I keep all my meds in a different room, and fill a daily pill box. My husband has been with me and has noticed no strange behaviour like you had. That would scare me too.

I hallucinated while taking one of the older sleep aids, chloral hydrate. I knew it was a hallucination and then remembered why we stopped using it on patients, this was a fairly common side effect.

Take care, Annette

Anon_2912 responded:
I have been on ambien for over 10yrs due to graves/hyper which caused permanent insomnia.

I take 10mg with a sominex every night and sleep 4-6 hrours, however, I still get up or sometimes toss and turn so they are not uninterrupted hours, but better than none.

I have not had issues with it on memory or eating. I have at times taken 20mg, but it kept me up more than not. Finally the mixture of 10mg & sominex worked so I stay on that.

I take it when winding down to go to bed usually between 10:00-10:30pm and get into bed at 11pm.

Everyone reacts different to meds so what works for one may not work for others.

annette030 replied to Anon_2912's response:
Everyone does react differently to meds.

I took the antihistamine which was the primary ingredient of Sominex, and had to keep increasing the dose for it to work. I was taking 4-5 fifty mg. pills. The side effects of a dry mouth finally made me ask my doctor for something else.

Mixing the two together sounds like a good idea.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.