Skip to content
Bobotalks
Bobotalks posted:
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after suffering many injuries and surgeries as a carpenter. I went to neurologists, orthopedists, rheumatologists and a pain clinic for years and was given every kind of opioid, antidepressant, and things like Lyrica which were of little or no help, and so many side effects I had to quit them. My wife finally took me to see a functional medicine doctor who, after I stoppped taking all those awful and expensive medications, put me on a simple daily bedtime dose of 4.5mg Naltrexone HCl. I noticed a difference the first morning after. It has been two weeks now and the severe debilitating pain is almost gone, the GI problems, sleep problems and fatigue are almost gone, too. This had to be compounded for me at the pharmacy because Naltrexone only comes in 50mg tablets.

You can check out the studies on Naltrexone for Fibromyalgia at Stanford University Medical Center. There have been studies done all over the world with this drug and it has been very successful, as with me.

Beware geting reimbursement through your insurance company; they are not familiar with procedures for reimbursement for compounded prescriptions. I am in the process of that battle now, but the medication only runs about $30/ month. That may be a small price to pay for the relief!
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

KDee77 responded:
In case anyone is interested, I found this article about this med & tests of FM patients. Pretty interesting.....
Too bad I can't sign up as a guinea pig! LOL.

http://www.drugs.com/news/may-help-ease-fibromyalgia-17278.html

Bobotalks replied to KDee77's response:
I can't say this strongly enough...if you are suffering long term medical problems, and the therapies tried by your doctors aren't working for you, get yourself to a doctor of functional medicine...it is cutting edge, and treats by getting to the root of bodily dysfunction, unlike traditional medicine which seems to use a bandaid approach of just covering up symptoms by cramming expensive and dangerous drugs down your throat.

I found real help with my pain, without the opioids, muscle relaxants and antidepressants, and for severe cardiac risk factors for which the statins just weren't effective and caused severe cramping. Try Googling "functional medicine" to find a doctor in your area.

I wish you all the best in your search. Don't give up! This has been an eight year trek for me, and I am at last able to have some quality of life.

KDee77 replied to Bobotalks's response:
Well, I did a quick search and will keep looking. I am in Canada, and we do not seem to have any of these doctors anywhere near me. Heck, my province is shy of regular doctors! I am wondering about naturopaths (posted a question about this a week or so ago). This might be my only option...

I do not really have a doctor right now. Over the past 4 years, they have tried every NSAID, Lyrica, amitriptyline, etc, etc - all with severe reactions. I am not taking anything for pain, have major stress right now, and suffering worse than ever. Yes, getting desperate!

I am so happy for you that you found something that works! I haven't given up; I just keep trying to find ways to relieve the constant, debilitating pain and headaches.

Thanks so much for your info & advice. Appreciate it!

Take care and wishing you good days...

KDee

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC...interesting topic.....and I am in need of something for fatigue....so this helped you with fatigue also?

I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements.....so I do not need this for pain....but I would really like to find something that will help the fatigue....I do not care how much sleep I get....I am still really tired...
and I hate feeling like this...

I do hope that Dr. P will share his knowledge on this subject...if not, then you might want to post it to him by putting his name in the subject line of a post about this to him...

Thanks for sharing.....I do hope you will read the info here under "Tips" and "Resources" which you will find to the right of this page...be sure and read the "member toolbox" and
"nutrition and vitamins"....

And I must also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which can also make a difference for some of us in how we feel....just depending upon how low the Vitamin D is....it is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to check it...as it is not included (yet)in the normal bloodwork that they do...

Take care and good luck....I hope this continues to work for you...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.