Skip to content
Stiff mornings...
lmpasternack posted:
I completely understand how it is to have those stiff mornings, all the women in my family have fibro and we all say the same thing as well--we feel like we have been hit by a truck. I just told my mother that I wake up like a zombie and cannot wait to get down the stairs to take my pills and drink some coffee. Then I sit down and come to my sunroom and listen to music I enjoy and get on my email and read something inspirational EVERY day, I personally like this site and Beliefnet.com. After my meds and coffee kick in, I am able to move about and then I do as much as I can to get out of the stiff cycle. Walk around, stretch, then start my morning walks, then my exercises I try to do daily. Some days I am unable to do it, based on other medical issues.

What helped me START a good routine was a back injury that I was just getting steroid injection after steroid injection for. I finally went to a Neurosurgeon who then sent me to Physical Therapy, that was the best thing I did! It was a great jump start to breaking the cycle of severe pain in my back and it also took care of my fibro flares because 3 times a week I went to PT and had to walk first, then do my specific exercises my Physical Therapist chose for me, and since it was a medical appt, I was better about "sticking to it." I was an avid runner and weight lifter, and an athlete from the time I could walk just about so now on top of the fibro I have Osteoarthritis and many herniated discs. It is so easy to stop working out, but that recent time at PT made me realize that it was the best thing I ever did to start working out again, and it was so mild in the beginning anyone that can walk could do it. At the time I had such terrible CONSTANT sciatica that I could not drive any distance, so I found the closest Physical Therapist I could go to. That also made it easier for me to manage.

This has just been my experience, and to this day, now that I am done with PT, if I stop for any reason, I have much more fibro flares than when I was going.

Good luck to all of you fibro folks.
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....I do understand the stiffness that you have....I have been sleeping in a recliner though for a very long time....and I no longer have what I use to have as far as stiffness and pain is concerned....I continue to try to sleep in a bed....but I am unable to do so....as when I lie down....it all sets in again....so I do what I have to do to limit my pain....but certainly not by choice....as I would truly like to be like most "normal" people and sleep stretched out in a bed...

I would like to encourage you to be sure and get your Vitamin D level checked...if you have not already done so....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for a lot of people....and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

I would also suggest that you read the info under "tips" and "resources" to the right of this page...be sure and see the "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"....as I am sure that you will find something to try that you have not thought of trying...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
I'd have to agree that we have to keep moving. I think everyone has a unique baseline physical ability. A gentle pushing to what we can already do seems reasonable. Especially stretching and core strengthening.

Personally, I wake up stiff, do stretches in bed before getting up. Then I carefully go downstairs, holding the railings firmly! Coffee, dishes, tidy up, laundry, feed kitties, breakfast, etc. That all gets me loose. Then it's activity time. The more I do, the harder I fall! By evening I can hardly stand for the pain. So I sit as soon as possible.

I wish I could push harder. I keep trying to push anyway and refuse to become sedentary even though it would feel so good! I know my health would be even worse if I gave in to the desire to be pain-free today.

Thanks for letting us know how exercise has helped you!
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.