Skip to content
Questions?????
me_n_my_4 posted:
Hello everyone, I have having pain in the sternum area, but it's a weird kind of pain. It doesn' hurt when I breath or there is no burning or anything like that and it only seems to bother me when I move or stretch back or lay down on my back. It kinda feels like a lump or rock or something and the pain will sometimes be there for a couple days or a week and then it goes away for a while but then comes back. I thought maybe it was costochondritis or something but it's not really a chest pain. I thought maybe it was the Fibro or a tight muscle or something but maybe I am wrong because my Fibro meds doesn't seem to help with the pain.I don't have any other symptoms just the pain in that area. Not looking for a diagnosis or anything just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar?
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

DaisyTK responded:
Hello! Me~~~
I have had that tender pain in the sternum area, and it hurts! I would advise though to talk to your doctor about that because you want to make sure it's the fibre and not something to do with your nungs, ribs or heart.
I've read that sometimes what we pass off as fibro can actually be a threat. It's so hard to know what to do when an extreme pain in a different area flares up.
I found a wonderful muscle rub at an herb shop here. It hashelped and probably with the massaging it in, has stopped the hot spot on my neck/spinal column.
A question~ Are you taking a statin drug?? I've quit the statins and am using Flaxseed oil. I'm working with my doctor and we'll see how the lipid panels go .
Anyway~
Please take care and be safe!

squarley responded:
Yes I have it ,it was costro. Get it checked out ,we never know. Good luck ,from Squarley

me_n_my_4 replied to DaisyTK's response:
Hey Daisy,
Thanks for the info, I know I think it is a bad habit of everyone with Fibro to dismiss our symptoms assuming it's just the Fibro flaring up. I don't take any statins but it's nice to know that the flaxseed oil helps out with the lipids. I have a doctors appointment on Friday so I will follow up to see what's going on.

me_n_my_4 replied to squarley's response:
Hi Squarley,
By the way love the name. I have had this pain before and it was costro but I'm not assuming it's the same pain. Do you get costro often? I seem to have it quite often (why who knows) but I have a doctors appointment on Friday so I will bring it to her attention.

squarley replied to me_n_my_4's response:
Yes I have it pretty often ,it may last a day or a week. I have had FM for 20 years and I am 63, But the costro, has been going on just this last year, I thought I was having a heart attack. Over the years new things keep popping up,I now have that and IBS, acid reflux, migraines and meniere's, CFS, RLS, and terrible aniexty. By the way Squarly came from what my daughter ,that's what she called me, but she has passed away ,so life can get pretty complicated,but were all here for one another. Sure hope you find out whats bothering you and let us know what the Doctor says Friday. many hugs to you ,Squarley

maggiethedoglover replied to squarley's response:
Dear Squarley,

Please accept my deepest condolences at the loss of your beloved daughter. Life can get complicated, indeed.

I don't know what costro is but I am happy I don't have it.

Many soft hugs,

maggie
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

mymyrt replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
Dear Squarley, I am so glad I dropped in. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heartfelt sympathies, and prayers for your strength.

Joan
Knowledge is power.

squarley replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
Thank you so much. I appreciate your thoughts. from Squarley

squarley replied to mymyrt's response:
Again thank you all,from Squarley

me_n_my_4 replied to squarley's response:
Dear Squarley,
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I am deeply sorry to hear about your loss of your daugther.

Dutch508 replied to me_n_my_4's response:
I just wanted to reply about the sternum pain. I have had FM for about 18-19 years now and I am 40, female. I am a active person due to my job, I am a professor of dance and musical theater, and I still perform as a dancer. I have had sternum pain for most of the time as a FM patient. I have been told it was constiochrondritis,( sorry for spelling) and have tried many, many things. Injections in the joints, which help for a bit.
But recently what I have found to help me are Lidocaine patches. As a dancer, I use these muscles near the sternum a lot and this seems to be the only thing that can help me through the long dance days I have. I am also a director , so my hours in a day can go from 9am-10pm. I also ice my sternum/thorasic spine and that tends to help a bit as well. I am allergic to most medicines that FM patients go on, so I am only on a very small dose of pain killers at the moment until I can find something else. My doc suggested Celebrex and Cymbalta, My insurance hasn't said yes to these yet, and it doesn't look good they will, but maybe that combo could help you.

It is a horrible pain and I hope that this can help a bit and I hope you get some relief soon.

Dutch

me_n_my_4 replied to Dutch508's response:
Thanks Dutch,

This really helps, I have had this pain on and off for so long and it seems like it has a mind of it's own. I never really know when it's coming and I don't know how long it is going to be around before it let's up. Thanks again for all of the suggestions I am going to try them.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.