Skip to content
Staying ative
eriinh posted:
I have been diagnosed with Fibro for 4 years now. I am only turning 21 tomorrow. It has been a rough few years but things are getting better. I have come to realize that this is my life and what I will always have to deal with. Whining or getting myself down because of it will not do me any good. I have found that staying active is the BEST thing to do. Some days I never want to get out of bed because of the pain but doing things and working the muscles take away the pain naturally.
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

annette030 responded:
I agree with you completely. Back when I was first diagnosed, they had me limit my activity so I would not hurt as much. Now, my doctor treats my pain and I am much more active than I used to be. I exercise over an hour every day. My doctor told me "No one should limit their activity due to increased pain", she adjusts my meds as necessary.

Do not limit your activity any more than you absolutely have to, I lost upper body strength like crazy, I don't know if I will ever get it back again. Better to not lose it to begin with. We know more now than we did back then in the mid-1990s. I don't blame my doctors at all, they were doing what they knew to do. But now we know better.

Take care, Annette

xperky responded:
For me:

Sitting and laying wind up being painful due to the stiff muscles that develop quickly.

Too much activity winds up being painful due to straining and damaging the abnormally stiff muscles.

It's a balancing act. Each day dictates what I can or can't do.

Margaret
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion,
Margaret

thenikki64 responded:
I was so active before FM, and after a year of letting a regular exercise routine go, I am trying to get back at it. I can't run or do pilates these days, but walking and yoga are my new favorites. I just wish I could figure out my Ipod Shuffle...may have to go back to my old MP3 player:)
Pam

jdhnay25 replied to thenikki64's response:
Yeah, that was me as well. I was extremely active. I was a dancer and I was in the gym 5 to 6 days a week for up to two hours a day. Now I'm just trying to work my way back up to an hour and try to lose the weight I've gained from being inactive. It's a process and it's going to take some adjustments and as eriinh said, it's accepting that this is your life now and dealing with it. You're an inspiration eriinh and you're younger than me. I'll be 26 this year and I finally got a diagnosis this year, but it's still taking me a while to accept this and this is my new life. I think I'm still grieving my old life.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.