Skip to content
Medications
tremendousbrunette posted:
Please be aware that doctors do not always have time to keep up on everything, your pharmacists has a similar education. Though all this is true, your best bet is for you to be proactive & read as much as you can find about the drugs you are taking even over the counter & supplements.
The FDA puts drugs on the market after saying they have tested them thoroughly, but we all know that in some cases they are wrong. The best detective for your own health & welfare is YOU.
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

fitzgift responded:
Absolutely you are correct we need to do our own research I've been a nurse over 35 yrs and I didn't take the most popular mess for fibro I am into natural healing , I am going to research Hemp oil as another fibro mate talked about

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC....It is always good to do your own research....with anything....as I think most of us have also learned what helps one may or may not help another....and medicines do not always react to people the same way...

I have also learned that vitamins and supplements are not always the same either...did not know this for a while...but there are some supplements which tend to be better than others...why I am not so sure...perhaps it is what is added to them....I think they consider this to be "fillers"....I have found that source naturals is a good company and I have good luck with the supplements that I get....I guess I tend to stick with a company that I have found to sell something that does me good...

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
So true.

Even supplements can have side effects. Afterall, they are worthy medicines too. So, it follows that they can have negative, as well as positive effects.

I hate when I see that a diabetes medicine my DH was taking has caused bad health problems for some. Makes me worry for him.

When possible, I stick to the older medicines. They have a track history to look up, and they are usually much cheaper.
With Compassion,
Margaret

crystalscats responded:
Yes, we have to do our research. I was taking Vit E and noticed my blood pressure was going up. Not normal for me as I tend to run on the low side. Well researched and found it's rare but it does raise blood pressure in some people. I went off it and my blood pressure went right back down again.

I also noticed you do have to watch fillers as MiMi says too, as I take cinnamon for my diabetes but one brand gave me heartburn. I try to stick to two places Puritan Pride and Swansonvitamins for my supplements. I also sometimes use Walmart especially when they have my omega's on sale.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.