Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
charcoal
JaRaye posted:
I have irritable bowel with my fibro. My sister in law told me to try charcoal capsules from the health food store. I have found that the charcoal helps A LOT. I feel like it has helped tremendously with the "bathroom" days.

Stay stress and painfree today!
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

booch007 responded:
The good thing about charcaol is it is a natural thing and great for absorption of gas.....but it absorbs other things too.

We use it in med overdoses, so it WILL absorb any free floating med still in the bowel on time delay........so you will lose your med levels. Becareful.

Also the bowel can turn black and if you develop a bleed in the intestines you will not know (like using pepto bismol/turning the stool black and now Kaopectate as they have bismuth in them).

Obviosly if it is once and a while OK...space between meds and becareful with it.

I would use a simethicone prepartion if you want safe and effective help. Mylicon is one...there are a few.

Good luck, just be "eyes wide open" We are a complicated bunch of people. Not so easy to fix things...eyes wide open.
Take care, NancyB

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.