Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 Medications Added to the FDA watch List
TDXSP08 posted:
The FDA has added to the Watch list two other products that are occasionally prescribed in pain conditions. Forest Pharmaceutical's milnacipran (Savella), used in the management of fibromyalgia, has been identified as a drug that needs to be monitored for the potential of incurring homicidal ideation. Pfizer's gabapentin (Neurontin) has been reportedly linked to an increase in blood creatine phosphokinase levels and rhabdomyolysis. The FDA will continue to monitor these drugs through the Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) before determining if they are truly associated with a health risk.
Was this Helpful?
9 of 10 found this helpful

xperky responded:
Well, that's not good news at all! I sure hope these FM drugs are more helpful than they are harmful. Those are scary side effects though. Our doctors will need to watch for these things if we take these drugs. Thanks for the info.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Littlefox77 replied to xperky's response:
Thanks for the heads-up. I am taking Gabapentin.
Hope you are having a low pain day.

SilverDove7 responded:
What is blood creatine phosphokinase and rhabdomyolysis? What do they do? I am on neurotin.

Sabrina

rudyandirmouse replied to SilverDove7's response:
Caprice, Linda R here and I am wondering if theres any truth to this post. Here's why I ask:

Yesterday I sent a message off to my Rheumy in regards to this post. I asked if it were true and was there any chance I could have been harmed from using Gabapentin over the past 3 years? I also asked if I could stop taking it now that it has this FDA warning.

I got a message back that said " This medication is NOT on any FDA watch list nor is it even in their data bank for concerns. " Now keep in mind my Rheumy is outta the Vanderbilt Hospital so if they are saying NO it should be a NO.

So I dunno whats going on with this.. ?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi TDXSP08,

Can you provide us with a link to this info? That would be helpful.

Rudy, I can't find the info even with a google and webmd search but that doesn't mean it's not out there. So my answer is: I don't know. Looking forward to getting more info. You were smart to discuss this with your own doctor.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

fitzgift responded:
I don't know why the FDA has to wait till someone dies from these drugs The Dr put me on both at different times for my fibro and my body told me I couldn't take them Now they are watching them GIVE ME A Break People its your body When you don't feel good on it DON'T USE IT

booch007 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I find it strange that after years of neurontin....40 years*. This is a statement. People develop rhabdo from other things and maybe this person was on a mix of meds and they were just as suspect?

Savella on the other hand (you know my concerns) I feel should have a black box warning for the elderly and arrythmia prone. Also being a adrenaline raiser...you move. They say people who are depressed when *raised from depression it is when the ability to commit the suicide can occur. When depressed you have no energy to accomplish this.

I am skeptical myself...................Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.