Skip to content
LIVING WITH CHRONIC PAIN
2013FOGHORN posted:
I am a 67 year old man who has had 5 "FAILED" back surgeries and countless injections, procedures, etc. About 15 years ago, after NEVER, EVER, taken prescribed medicine, I was prescribed OXYCONTIN, 40 mgs and it was like 360 tablets per month. This medication saved my life, so to speak because I was in constant agony 24 hours a day. I never went over that amount, never called the doctor and said I lost my medicine, someone stole it, etc. Then, the ingredients for Oxycontin was changed to prevent these dope fiends from sniffing it or whatever they do to get buzzed. That NEW formula was not good for me and did not lower my pain so, I had to get that changed to a medication that worked for me.
Now this was during the time that society was compassionate for people who suffered from chronic pain and doctors were nudged to prescribe the pain medication available for these patients.
My family doctor took over my pain managment since it was a Workers Compensation case and the insurance company paid generously for any claims associated with that injury.
So, a few years ago, after tinkering for the kind and quantity of medication for my particular body makeup, I was prescribed 360 tablets of Roxycodone 30 mgs each month and 180 tablets of Opana 30 mgs each month. That prescription every month for several years saved my life because before that, I had no life. Then, of course, the Opana ingredients were changed. However, by this time, society now nudged the doctors and the public to be AGAINST prescribing pain medicine and my medicine and the amount was "WAY TO MUCH" according to these "pain clinics" that cropped up overnight. These pain clinics have gone along with our society's thought of not prescribing pain medicine and/or immediately reduce the amount and type. HOWEVER, THEY'RE PROCEDURES, INJECTIONS, ETC. IS FINE EVEN THOUGH THOSE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE PROCEDURES ARE EXTREMELY HIGH.

Cutting to the chase, my nice primary doctor will not do long term pain management any longer so my only alternative is 3 ways. Look around for street drugs, go to Mexico or Canada which my insurance company will NOT pay for, or kill myself.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

dollbug responded:
Hello Foghorn and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....I am so sorry that you are having to deal with so many issues right now. I do know that pain affects people in different ways.....I have been there done that. Since 2004, I have had knee surgery, 7 hand surgeries, elbow surgery, cervical (neck) surgery and parathyroid surgery. There was a time in my life that I also did not think I would or could ever be better.....but as time passed I did get better.....I was in constant pain for a while and I was unable to use my right hand too. (I am right handed)....I fell twice outside (at different times) and broke each wrist. I wondered what in the world was going to happen to me next. But I will say that falling and breaking my wrist was a blessing in disguise. I ended up having plates and pins to fix the damage that I did to them and so some reason each time my wrist pain from carpal tunnel problems finally *settled down*.....I do not understand exactly how or why but I continued to get better. I never regained my strength in my hands but my pain improved greatly.

Chronic pain can make life really difficult for a lot of people. I know that for a while it did me. When I first got sick my doctor was treating me for depression.....he thought that was all that was wrong with me. I do not quite understand why doctors think most of the time we, women, are just depressed. Anyway..... I tried several different medicines in the beginning but none of them really helped me without causing side effects....and to be quite honest with you....I did not need anything else to deal with.

So I eventually did my own research and figured out what I could take and help myself. It took me a long time but I finally figured out the right combination for me to cope better. No....I am not painfree nor do I expect to be....but I am indeed better than I have been. I now control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well.

In the past few months I have also been dealing with lower back pain. I continue to think that kidney stones is causing the pain since I know that I have them in both kidneys....but the doctor does not seem to think they are the reason of my pain. I can get relief by putting a heating pad on them for a while.....but the pain does return.

I am quite surprised that your doctor decided that you no longer needed your medicine. I do know though that I have done a lot of research on FM and most doctors do prescribe pain pills for any health issue that is chronic. Most pain pills are for short term issues.

I would like to encourage you to be sure and talk to your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked....which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Have you tried taking any vitamins and supplements? This might be an option for you. It does takes at least 6-8 weeks of taking whatever you decide to try before you should make a decision as to whether or not what you are doing is actually helping you cope better.

I do not think any of the 3 options are good ones and I hope that you will find something else that will help you. Life is too short as it is.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

missist replied to dollbug's response:
I'm also sorry your in so much pain. I said this before--- pain meds killed my mom-- she had all kind of pain--so I understand it..but wish something else could have been done.

Anyhow--I too have had chronic long time pain-- these days it is much better-- never gone, but livable. In the years I was raising kids I was in really bad pain pretty much every day. I don't really know why it changed now it is manageable with celebrex and gabapentin and amitryptilene-so that's pretty amazing to me.

Since your pain is in your back-- I know this may seem nuts--but my husband actually worked out to fix the pain from his herniated discs. it worked for him--don't know if it will for you--just mentioning it.

He could barely walk for 5 years and then decided to just do that and somehow it all kind of went back in place.

In any case I'll add you to my prayer list--and I am sorry. Don't give up on life-- look for something to distract from the pain-- and try everything that you can --something may work.

there are a lot of different approaches to pain control-- something might do it enough to give you some peace.

Don't disappear-- I find talking to others about these things is a lot of help--especially here cuz its people who do understand pain.

Mary

BetteK responded:
Foghorn,

First of all, killing yourself is not an option. Life, no matter how much pain it entails, is too precious a gift to refuse.

Now, get on the telephone and find another doctor. If you've been dealing with a rheumy, try a neurologist. Try a physiatrist. Try another family practicioner. Offer to sign a drug contract saying you will get all your pain meds from that doctor. Promise to only use one pharmacy.

Have you tried the Duragesic/fentanyl patches? You can use a low dose of them for as long as they work. Then you can go back to the oxycontin. You will find that you no longer need as high a dose of the oxycontin. By alternating between the two (oxycontin and fentanyl) you are less apt to build up a tolerance.

Are you open to something different? I found that accupunc-ture worked on my back pain. I had to stop when my scalp was sensitized, but, if I could, I would go that route any day.

There are better days ahead. You just have to look for them.

BetteK

xperky responded:
Foghorn, your story is one I also fear telling someday. My chronic pain from RA is maybe never going away and is certainly getting harder to deal with. It's nothing on the scale of your pain though.

I don't understand the new process. It sometimes seems like some, not all, pain clinics are taking advantage of the situation and forcing patients to sign contracts for expensive injections, etc.

There are some clinics and doctors out there that do help people in pain though. I encourage you to keep looking for help. Those three options you mentioned are not good options, as you already know.

Do something nice for yourself, as you deserve it!
With Compassion,
Margaret

missist replied to xperky's response:
Just reading what Margaret has said here, I feel as if my own post last night was too 'light' on it all.. I am so sorry about your pain! Like Margaret, I too have that back of the mind sort of fear--of getting in that position in the future too.

I have to say- I do think the drugs very much led to my mom dying at 69--but I also think she needed pain relief. so I don't know what the good answer is.

I did add you to my prayer list and I hope you will find better help. Peace to you and may you have some hope too.
Mary

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 214 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.