Skip to content
Has anyone else noticed that sugar increases pain?
debrabrooks1960 posted:
I recently started a no sugar or white flour diet. I have been on it for a little over 2 weeks. My pain level has went from a level 10 to a 2 or less. I am amazed how much better I feel. I had to wean myself off of the Cymbalta I was on due to money problems. I feel like a new person now and I have lost 12 pounds. I noticed if I cheated and ate sugar or white flour that I would have pain. Has anyone else noticed the connection between sugar, flour and increased pain? I know it is better to eat healthier, but I had never guessed on how much better I would feel. Now I do not even crave sugar. I am afraid if I do eat any the cravings will return. I think the Cymbalta was making me extremely tired during the day. So having to stop it turned out to be a good thing. I have so much more energy now. I do have to warn anyone that wants to stop sugar that you will have a few bad days of being irritable and even have headaches. But that will pass after just a few days.
Soft hugs,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

monamia responded:
I have noticed a difference. Sugar and alcohol can both increase my pain so I avoid them most of the time. But I haven't experienced the real ease in symptoms, just less exacerbations. Glad it's helping you to such a degree.

fibroinsd responded:
Debbie...I did notice that the Cymbalta was so helpful for me for awhile..and then I found I was sleeping all the time..got off of it..and found I wasn't as sleepy...

I was on the medifast diet for a long time..and felt so much better than I do now...I do think the lack of sugar was good on it..but the soy in it..well..I do think it made me kind of gassy..but all in all, I felt a lot better...I have been off the diet for awhile and my weight has gone up again..but I also have sooooooo enjoyed eating some of those things I denied myself for so long..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

daisy649 responded:
I am so grateful and happy to hear you say that cutting out sugar and flour has helped. I have had fibro for 20 years and have tried everything to ease my pain. If anything, my symptoms have only gotten worse. Now the pain has migrated to my knees and the bottoms of my feet (curious if anyone else has that!) Looking back, I have known for some time that sugar and flour make me feel terrible but have never done anything about it. Believe it or not, I simply haven't had the energy. Weird. I have just recently started a sugar/flour free diet and am very hopeful I will see positive change. Now if only I could cut out the coffee....Are you still feeling better?

djunbun replied to daisy649's response:
I have noticed definitely it affects my pain. Sunday is cheat day for my husband and I and we buy things as treats. This Sunday I ate a whole big giant Hershey's candy bar. Monday I woke up dizzy , which lasted most of the day and my pain was unbearable. It was my Husband's birthday and we could not even celebrate because of my pain. I was in tears and he said don't worry about it we will celebrate on a better day. I have most of my pain in the upper back and neck and also my hips. Woke up today with a swollen hip again, so I am just trying to keep moving ,that helps rather than sitting. I am really considering leaving it out off my diet, but most foods have a little sugar in it. So I think I will try to only eat 10 grams a day and see what happens.

dawncostella responded:
I was a little slow on this, but YES I finally figured it out. I have cut sugar out of my diet and it helps a lot!

bette_kaffitz responded:
Debbie,

I thought I was a strong woman. I thought I had done my very best to tame my own personal fibro dragon.

And then I tried to give up sugar and white flour--and all the wonderful foods that contain them.

And I failed. Utterly. Completely.

I was able to go off oxycontin. Ditto for the Duragesic (fentanyl) patches. But I cannot live without my sugar.

Debbie Brooks, you are one courageous woman. I hope you realize this and understand how big a deal, it is. Anyone who can voluntarily shut off her supply of sugar in this world so jam-packed with Twinkies, ice cream, chocolate cake, apple pie, and, yes, even jam, is someone to look up to. Now go look yourself in the mirror and say, "I can do anything!" Because you can.

Bette (who just can't--at least not yet)

daisy649 replied to djunbun's response:
I am sorry to hear about your bad day. For me, that is the most frustrating part of the illness. You just never know how you will feel from day to day and it seems like you are constantly pressured into soldiering on when you really just feel like crawling into bed and being left alone. It's nice your husband understands.....the illness is awful with an unsupportive partner. It is so hard to cut out the sugar. I haven't been very successful but I have learned that it doesn't take long to start feeling better so there's definitely something going on. I also wonder about tonsils. I had mine out when I was 9.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.