Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pilates and Hematomas
wldmiller posted:
I've looked all over the topics for the boards to try to find out the answer to my question, so I thought I'd come here and maybe get someone to help point me in the right direction. A few years ago I started doing pilates (mat workout, floor workouts) and LOVED it. I was doing really, really well and losing weight and toning up until 2005 when I fell down three stairs. The fall was completely on my backside and created a very large Emu shaped "goose egg" hematoma on my rear end. Since a lot of the mat workout is done by rolling up and down the spine and such, it really hurts my hematoma. My doc said that the hematoma wouldn't last but it's still here three years later. I really, really miss doing my pilates work out (obviously I can do other workouts), but there are no sports medicine boards or hematoma boards to talk about long lasting hematomas. Anyone know where I should go for help? I hate to bother my doctor again with this but the hematoma is still the same size and shape it was back when I first got it.

KARMA2008 responded:
Perhaps it was more injury than you originally thought. Had you gotten a second opinion or more answers yet?

bigclaw responded:
A hematoma, or haematoma, is a collection of blood, generally the result of hemorrhage, or, more specifically, internal bleeding. Hematomas exist as bruises (ecchymoses), but can also develop in organs. Some hematomas form into a welt-like formation that is hard to the touch, which is a sac of blood that the body creates to keep internal bleeding to a minimum. In most cases the sac of blood eventually dissolves; however, in some cases they may continue to grow or show no change. If the sac of blood does not disappear it may need to be surgically removed.

Rintin10 responded:
I second both the previous posts, seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion and then maybe have it removed. The great thing I've heard about Pilates and/or yoga is the grand variety of moves and positions they have...so if you have a problem laying on your backside, maybe consider alternating your workouts for pilates/yoga moves that don't require you to lay down flat or get onto the floor. Do standing up moves, balancing moves or upright rotation moves....you know? good luck!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.