Skip to content
Overextending shoulder joint
Deputy87 posted:
I'm having some shoulder discomfort. It starts on the top of my shoulder and runs down to the top of my bicep. This past fall I wanted to increase my bench press. I spent about five weeks only doing Bench Press on chest day. My strength increased weekly and I was able to achieve a personal best single rep. I was pretty impressed considering I'm 41; however I felt my shoulders were getting a little beat up-so I started lifting lighter weights and doing other exercises. Well, my shoulders were still feeling a little beat up so I recently posted regarding push-ups-a post Rich responded too. The reason for the post was to find a chest routine that did not involve lifting weights. I figured it would be better to do body weight training for chest. I don't feel any discomfort when I train other upper body exercises-- The discomfort is only on one side. I'm not walking around in pain. I can lift my shoulder over my head and from side to side. I think my presses or push-up maybe a little too deep and I am over extending the joint?? I let the bar touch my chest when i do bench and i let my chest touch the ground when I do push-ups. Where is the discomfort coming from?

R_Weil responded:
Shoulders are complex joints and there can be many reasons for joint pain. Anything from rotator cuff to labrum tears. I suggest not working through pain, and since it?s been going on for a while and affecting your workouts I suggest you see a doctor. Good luck with it.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Full Range
Something to remember is to not use too much weight that doesn't allow the full range of motion. If you can't completely extend your arm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.