Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I was browsing in another board.....
cindigal posted:
I don't remember the specific question that the thread started. I caught in the midstream. They were talking about the show "Biggest Loser" and how they have to train vigorously with extreme weights to lose vast amounts of fat. Also they have to work-out so many hours in a day in order to burn all those calories. I don't watch it myself, because I like my favorite prime-time show instead ..lol. But I am interested about the contestants and I applaud their efforts and all the struggles they have to endure. I saw one post that a member questioned...."why can't the contestants zone in any particular area on their body...??". The answer someone answered was....."they have to lose all that fat first before they firm their muscles". Is that a myth or is a fact.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Myth. Muscle is under the fat and tones and strengthens in response to training. You just don't see it if it is obscured by fat. Fat does not interfere with muscle development.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I think the other part of the answer is that you can't spot reduce. The fat has to come off of the entire body. Yes, the muscle building is an important component-but you aren't going to notice it until you lose the weight.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Love handles
You cannot spot exercise. I went on mostly carb-free diet for several months. I did eat fruits and veggies, but eliminated breads, cereals ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.