Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Walking too slow
An_198399 posted:
I am trying to turn things around. I am 52 years old have diabetes, high bloodpressure, lymphedemia and bad knees and walk with the use of a cane and other various issues. I have a tread mill which i starting walking holding the rails for 15 minutes at 1.3 miles. I am tryng to loose alot of weight as i am morbidly obese. I have lost almost 60 pounds in the last 7 monhts but i have at least another 150 to go. I see from posts that it appears i am going way too slow. however as i need help with a cane i thought i was okay. when i first started i was lucky if i made 2 minutes. does anyone know what a safe starting sped is?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Nice job on losing that first 60! I am excited for you.

angelmarie89 responded:
Well first congrats!! and by what you are doing has already helped you i would keep up with that. But as far as you dealing with medical complications, its probably better to speak to your doctor about what he suggests for you to do, and how much. Plus you dont want to hurt yourself by over doing it...but if you feel good enough at the time raising your speed wont be a bad thing, jus alittle at a time though.!! good luck!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Congratulations on your weight loss so far! That's a real victory. I'm not sure what you read that says you are going too slow. That's untrue. You do whatever you can. That's the thing to do. Don't worry about what anyone else does. Do what you can. As for weight loss, you can lose all the weight you want without exercise by reducing your calorie intake, so don't worry about how fast or slow you walk. Keep up the walking and then check in with one of the diet clubs here at WebMD
http://forums.webmd.com/3/fitness-and-exercise-exchange/tip/4

Weight loss is hard on your own. The clubs can help with information and support.

Good luck. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.