Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise and Stress
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
We have a news article that just came out saying "Exercise May Buffer Effects of Stress " This small study and very short study suggested that this is a good idea for the very stressed.

What do you find personally about the stress and exercise relationship? Does exercise relieve your stress? Cause more stress? If you are very stressed do you even find the time to exercise?

Take the Poll

Does exercise help your stress levels?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I get stressed even thinking about exercise
  • Not sure
vote
View Poll Results

DeadManWalking56 responded:
Even better, the skeletal muscles act as an endocrine organ producing a hormone in the interleukin group that actually speeds up healing from inflammation.

So exercise is actually measurably good for your physical health, and is capable of reducing pain throughout the body.

This is one of the reasons that even bypass surgery patients are encouraged to walk some IN THE HOSPITAL, even when they think they can barely stand. I know, they did it to me. Two days after surgery, nurses made me walk, assisted, from ICU to my 2nd stage recovery room. That was the scariest part of the surgery event.

Tomato05 responded:
Exercise definitely helps me with the usual day-to-day stress, as well as the more "unusual" forms of stress.

Not only stress, but it also helps with other negative emotions like anger, sadness, depression. Plus it helps me with loneliness, boredom, missing friends and family.

Exercise acts like a stabilising factor in my life - so many people and circumstances are unreliable, unpredictable and treacherous. However, exercise is always there, soothing, available.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.