Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Am I being paranoid or should I change something?
JulianPa posted:
I've been walking everyday since Sunday (Except Tuesday due to weather) for 2 hours and in that 2 hour span I've been walking further and further and I guess I'm getting faster) I've checked the scale a few times but don't see any real difference in the weight, after 4 days of walking I thought something would happen.

I've also been eating less, around like 800-900 calories a day, eating things like honey nut cheerios, vegen burgers and some popcorn chicken (dinner is usually 1 vegen burger and about 1 serving of popcorn chicken) Should I up the exercise or eat more? a friend of mine said I was eating too little to loose weight and I'm thinking maybe I am.

Am i just being paranoid or am I just not giving it enough time?

JulianPa responded:
I've also been drinking a little lemonade and chocolate milk to add in those extra few calories to get to like 800 or so

fedupagain replied to JulianPa's response:
900 cals is too little. Since you are burning lots of it by walking you should at least consume about 1200 of it

JulianPa replied to fedupagain's response:
well I used the tool here about loosing weight and it said to loose two pounds a week I should eat like 1500 calories, but I want to loose more than that so I figured if I ate less and exercised more I'd loose weight faster

no you want since your body will try to hold on to every calorie. That is your body natural defence against starvation

JulianPa replied to fedupagain's response:
so 1200 is a good amount? if it helps I'm 6'1 and weigh 230 pounds

1200-1500 since you are a tall guy and you are walking every day. I started my weight loss with walking too. I lost over 60lbs that way. Also the slower you lose weight the more chances you have to not to put it all back.

pallzy replied to JulianPa's response:
You don't want to go below 1200 calories. You won't be getting the nutrion you need to keep your body healthy while you are trying to lose weight. 1-2 pounds a week is the best way to lose weight. It lets your body get accustomed to the new eating and not try to rebound on you. That way, you'll keep the weight off.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
1. You need to give weight loss more time. Four days is less than trivial. Give it at least one month. At least.

2. It sounds like you know that to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. If you are accurately measuring your calorie intake and consuming 800-900 calories a day, then at 230 pounds and with all that walking, you are in calorie deficit below your basal, or maintenance needs, of more than 1500 calories per day or 10,500 calories per week, which is 3 pounds per week. So give it a month, and if you do not lose any weight, then you know you are consuming more calories than you think.

3. If you are consuming 800-900 calories per day then I suggest you increase that to a minimum of 1200/day. You need more energy than 800-900 at your body weight and you will lose at least 2 pounds a week if you do that.

4. I suggest you go to one of the following sites to figure out how many calories you are consuming

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-food-calorie-counter

www.fitday.com

www.calorieking.com

5. Go here http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator to determine your calorie needs.

6. As for calorie expenditure, at 230 pounds you burn about 150 calories per mile (whether you walk or run), so you can put that into your calculation of daily needs and what you need to lose weight.

JulianPa replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you, I used google maps and found I was walking 6.4 miles in two hours so I'm walking just over three miles per hour on average which i used some tools to figure out I was burning about 700 calories, but the route is also very hilly so it might be more than that

An_198428 responded:
Hi there, walking is not a big calorie burner. Even long cardio exercises ultimately burn very little calories compared to the effort that you put in. Try to research resistance training with which you build your muscle mass in your body. When you have more muscles, you will burn more calories just doing daily stuff. You don't have to be muscular for that to happen, you just need to be able to lift your own body weight. It is a great way to stay in shape as well.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to JulianPa's response:
You're welcome, and yes, hill work will increase energy expenditure.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.