Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Why don't I sweat???
mjevic posted:
I know some people would appreciate this problem, but I find it irritating and am wondering if it could be dangerous. I never, ever sweat from my face, and only "glisten" everywhere else. It is definately NOT a hydration problem, I drink plenty of water throughout the day and have to drink tons while working out. I live in the south with high temps and high humidity, so you wouldn't think this would be possible. Although my face doesn't sweat when I run outdoors, it does get extremely hot and turn red. A few years ago while training for a 15K and running in 85 degree heat, it got so red it felt like it was on fire. I got a wet cloth and draped over my face and the heat literally dried it up. I relayed what happened to my doctor and he just said that some people don't sweat. I haven't been very active over the past year but recently began working out again. I love my workouts (cardio and weight training) but afterwards my knees are burning hot. My face still isn't sweating but isn't burning either. Probably because I'm indoors at a gym. Has anyone had this problem, or know what causes it? I'm wondering what it's doing to the joints in my knees. I really need to drop some weight and really dont want to quit my workouts.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Muscles produce heat during exercise and the heat must be released. You either sweat or dilate blood vessels, or both, to do so. Some people simply sweat more than others. If you don't sweat much then the dilation of blood vessels, which carry the heat from the muscles to the skin surface, allows for the release of the fat. Typically the face turns red when vessel dilation is the main source of heat release. A cold wet towel will help with transfer of heat and may decrease the redness and the hot feeling. It's not doing anything to your joints.

An_198444 responded:
I've met someone else who also does not sweat. I believe her condition is probably a lot worse then yours, but she cannot bear to be anywhere where it can get too warm and constantly needs a fan on her. She even elected to move to a colder area of the country to accommodate her condition. I hope that helps.

apprd replied to An_198444's response:
while i certainly sweat, i find that depending on what muscle group i am working on my level of sweat varies...despite feeling as though i am working just as hard. for example, i tend to sweat profusely when working out my legs. however, i don't sweat much at all working out my chest and shoulders.

i have always assumed my muscles were working just as hard at the top and bottom.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to apprd's response:
Muscles in the legs are much larger and produce more heat.

An_198445 responded:
Hi - I just read your post and I have the same condition... I'm not sure what it is from. Does anyone else in your family have it? I have an identical twin who also has this problem and our mom. I've just started running, and it is a problem. I'd like to run a 1/2 marathon, but I'm not sure if I can keep up the training w/o overheating. I'm also concerned about exercising when pregnant as an elevated temp. isn't good for the baby. I'm going to continue researching it. Good luck with your search as well!

MrLivingston111 responded:
This happens to me as well. My face will sweat until I wipe it off. I know that it is best not to wipe and I try not to but if I do, then the redness even worse. Even if I gently blot my face, it ends up as dry as possible! Not even the slightest sheen or trace or oil. Once this happens then my face begins to turn from red to a shade that is closer to purple! It usually takes at least 2 hours to return to anything close to normal. I used to do cardio before work but my face would still so red that a few times people asked if I was sick HOURS later. I've read elsewhere that this can be a sign of rosacea. My mother has never been diagnosed with this but the same things happen to her. Both of us also have a red face from taking a hot shower. If you do sweat at all try to just let it run down your face. Maybe that will help. I have also put an ice pack on my cheeks but that doesn't stop the people who stare at you with concern in the gym!

Plummm responded:
Hi mjevic
I'm glad i researched on this problem.
I have the same issue. i don't sweat at all.. but my face turns burning red. It's pretty embarrassing at times when i have to stand under the sun for any college purpose .. i have had friends come up to me and ask, "Are you ok??"
my hands and feet turn hot as well..
i had asked my doc about this issue and its funny how people dont take this seriously. I hate it when they say its becoz of lack of hydration.. HYDRATION?? i drink gallons of water.

I go to the gym 5 times a week and with the people who join me.. they will b perspiring like crazy and me?? i look as though i dint do nothing (besides the ugly red face)..
hmm.. to cut things short .. im glad i read this post.

i8plums responded:
thank you so much for posting this. I have the same issue and don't know what is going on. I just finished a relay race with a group of friends. i struggled through my leg because I felt like I was overheating. None of my other friends had any issues. Also, after 4 miiles of running in the sun I was hardly sweating at the end and everyone else was dripping with sweat after their leg. Like you, my face always turns bright red. I easily overheat. I would call it "sun poisoning" because I can't be out in the heat or I get overheated, headaches, sometimes nausea. People always tell me to drink more water because i'm most likely dehydrated. When I'm in the sun I make a point of drinking water all the time, even when I'm not thirsty. so that is not the issue.

I really appreciated Rich Weil's response. dilation of blood vessels . . . interesting . . and something I would have never of thought of. Is there a cure for this or is it something we have to live with for our lifetime? I oftentimes feel the veins in my neck have a lot of pressure while working out or outside in the sun - does that have any relation to the dilation of my blood vessels?

i8plums replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I included this in a post from the original person who posted on the issue. In case you didn't see it I wanted to post in direct response to you:
I really appreciated Rich Weil's response. dilation of blood vessels . . . interesting . . and something I would have never of thought of. Is there a cure for this or is it something we have to live with for our lifetime? I oftentimes feel the veins in my neck have a lot of pressure while working out or outside in the sun - does that have any relation to the dilation of my blood vessels?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to i8plums's response:
Dilation of blood vessels is a normal, healthy response to heat and other conditions. There's no need for a cure because it is a healthy condition. In fact, it would be just the opposite if the vessles didn't dilate; that would be an exceptionally serious problem. I don't know what's going on with the veins in your neck while oustide in the sun. I suppoose it could be prominent vessels, but I'm just not sure.

Take care,
Rich

myhealthprobs responded:
Hi
I have also going through same problem of not able to sweat on my face. I use to sweat a lot on my face during my workouts in GYM but in between i was admitted to hospital due to fever and when i came back home and after that during workouts i stopped sweating when i workout really hard my face turns red but doesnt sweat also my face became big and looks like i have put on lot of flab on my face..
Can anyone has a same issue please write .

EyeSeeOne responded:
Mr.Livingston111 made reference twice in his reply to the idea that "you should not wipe the sweat off, just let it run" and I have never heard this before I read it in his posted reply. All my life I have seen people working out in gyms with towels wrapped around their necks; same with boxers during their practice routines. So what is the purpose of having the towels if not to wipe off the sweat? What is "bad" about wiping off the sweat?
I have seen some people wearing sweat bands on their foreheads to keep the sweat from running down into their eyes. Can someone please address the why of this "don't wipe" idea?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to EyeSeeOne's response:
The idea is to remove the sweat from the surface of the skin to help with cooling. Sweat that remains on the skin will not permit the skin to cool as well. You should remove the sweat.

vikingeyes23 responded:
"OH MY GOD!!" I felt like I was the only one who had this condition. Which I know I wasn't. I cried when i read some of these posts. I am limited on the jobs I can apply for, because I can not work outside(when its real hot and humid) or in a building that has no airconditioning!!! Some of my family memebers do not understand this, and its completely frustrating!!! If I have to be either outside or in a building that has no a/c, I carry a spraybottle at all times. I call it my sweat in a bottle, it sounds gross, but its true, I can't sweat in my face so I spray the droplets of water to take the place of what I can't do. or I have one of those battery operated fans you fill with water and spray to cool my self this way too, And my face to get real red if I don't cool down in time.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.