Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Impatient and need help!
britkaus posted:
I'm aspiring to be a nutritionist. I'm obsessed with eating healthy, staying away from processed foods, eating as much organic and natural as i can afford. most of this I have to do anyway as I have celiacs disease and I'm lactose sensitive so I'm unable to eat most foods. I'm a vegtable junkie and bananas and apples are in my daily diet. I'm trying to lose 10-15 vanity lbs. I started a new diet a little shy of 6 weeks ago. I started at 5'8 152 lbs and now i'm 146. I realize this starting weight is not considered overweight. my BMI is 22. I just want to lower it to 19, as thats still considered healthy. I want to get rid of the excess love handles, belly that sticks out no matter what i do and big theighs. I do not want to or intend to become annorexic, that is not my goal. I excersize 1-2hrs a day every other day, and eat 1000-1200 calories. Coffee with a dash of sugar and water are the only fluids I drink. a ''treat'' for me is an apple with peanut butter or a handful of marshmallows. I do not overeat, if anything i'm a bit scared i undereat. Ive read that its possible to lose 2-3lbs a week and still be considered a healthy weight loss that stays off. I want to lose weight a little faster, i'm growing impatient since i'm doing everything right and i feel like my body is responding soo slow. sometimes, but very rarely, maybe i'll have a gluten free beer and 10-15 chips (yes i do count the number of chips!) with salsa, the next morning i have gained 3lbs, how is this possible?? can i never indulge in a bit of chocolate or a martini without waking up pounds heavier, what causes this? i am losing about half a pound to a pound a week. my original goal when i started at 152lbs was to lose 20-25 lbs in 3 months, is this an unhealthy or unrealistic goal? (i dont intend to be under 126lbs as thats considered underweight) I wanted to know is there anything else i can do to increase the amount of pounds lost to just 2 or even 3 a week so i can wear a bikini before summer ends!!? please help!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Consider this. To lose 2 pounds a week you need to create a calorie deficit of 1000 calories a day, and 1500 calories a day to lose 3 pounds a week. You currently consume 1000-1200 calories a day. Without considering exercise, to lose 2 pounds a week at that intake you'd need to cut your calorie intake to virtually nothing, and for 3 pounds a week you'd have to eat nothing and exercise even more than you already do. Considering you already exercise a lot, how would you go about accomplishing your goal, and if you did, you would risk losing muscle, losing body fat, and perhaps risk malnutrition. Excessive loss of body fat, or very low body fat, is associated with loss of menstruation, low bone density, and other medical conditions. As a nutritionist, would you counsel your patients to do this? To answer your question if losing 20-25 pounds in 3 months is unrealistic, yes it is, and it could even be unsafe. As for your eating, and this is always very sensitive, but you say you do not want to be anorexic nor do you intend to be. I would guess that no one would. However, if you read your post carefully, it is of concern. You say you are scared you undereat, you count the number of chips, a treat is an apple with peanut butter, and so on. This sounds uncomfortable emotionally, and must be exhausting. You don't need to be anorexic to check in on one of the eating exchanges, and so I recommend that you at least check in over there and see if you can get some insight and advice on how to proceed. http://boards.webmd.com/topic.asp?topic_id=1135

As for the weight gain over night you are retaining fluid, not gaining weight from fat. If you ate a jar of pickles before bed you'd wake up 4-6 pounds heavier just from fluid due to the sodium content and fluids. My suggestion for you is to do your best to shift your focus away from the scale and focus instead on maintaining muscle and strength, and shaping your physique. This may be a tall order, but you deserve to feel good about yourself without starving, and perhaps building a strong and toned physique, at any weight, will help.

pallzy replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
The smaller amount of weight that a person needs to lose, the slower it's going to be to take off. Someone that maintains their weight with a 2500 calorie diet can more easily drop that 1000 calories a day to effect the 2 pound loss per week. Someone that maintains their weight at 1600 calories a day can't drop that many calories to effect the same loss. Nutrionally, you don't want to go below 1200 calories a day to keep your body nourished. So, even though it might be frustrating, it's going to be slow considering that you are already at a healthy weight. Like Rich said, maybe toning and sculpting are more where you should be putting your efforts instead of the scale.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

britkaus replied to pallzy's response:
I count number of chips and measure cereal ect, because i've been paying attention to serving sizes. And i've learned that in the past, i could consume 2-3 times more then the reconmended serving size and easily eat 1000 calories in one sitting. I'm frustrated because i keep getting told I dont need to lose wieght, I look fine, ect. But I'm not happy being hourglass, pear shaped or ''curvy''. being a size 12 in misses, size 11-13 in juniors does not make me feel good about myself. I don't understand why I can't be a size 6 and still be healthy?

pallzy replied to britkaus's response:
There is no reason why you can't be healthy at a size 6. Weight loss, when you aren't significantly overweight, is going to be slow. Have you had your body fat percentage checked? If you concentrate on toning instead of pounds, you can definitely lose inches, dropping you a size or two without a significant loss in weight. You'd just be tighter and toned (and smaller).
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

jusim81 responded:
I am not an expert in nutrition by no means; but have been talking to one a few days ago because I am a little like you, I am not overweight or unhealthy but there's fat that I like to shed off, especially that I am injured and not working out as much as I'd like.
What was told to me is that:
First I should eat supportively rather than diet. You might want to google: "supportive nutrition". And as per what I've been told 1000-1200 calories is not enough food, you are starving your body and it will retain fat.
What you are eating might be healthy but it might be the way you are eating that needs to change.
Hope this helps!

britkaus replied to jusim81's response:
yes this does help thankyou!

britkaus replied to pallzy's response:
What kind of home excersizes do you reconmend for toning that could help lose inches off those problem areas? I own a tredmill, a couple dumbells and pilates bands, what can i do using these that will give me results?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Have you tried better toilet posture?
This makes you feel light and healthy everyday. There is a great new product on the market aimed at improving colon health by correcting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.