Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Test message
jkbond posted:
I have been having difficulty getting this forum to accept my input and am sending this test message to see whether or not the trouble has been fixed.

pallzy responded:
It looks like it worked to me.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Looks like it does. Were you on a mobile phone or ipad when you tried to post? If not, were you using internet explorer or firefox and what version? What happened when you tried to post?

jkbond replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
What happened was that I was trying to block the marketing messages sent out by WedMD (and other sites) and it backfired on me. When you are online, sites that depend on advertising for their revenue stream use your computer to send messages to third-party sites with names like yieldmanager. This happens in situations such as, for example, when you go from one section to another of the site that you have logged on to. These messages provide to the third party information about what your interests are and are aggregated by them to help determine what advertisements are presented to you and no doubt many other things that I'd rather not know about.

The whole thing strikes me as an invasion of privacy so, having collected the names of the two or three third-party sites that were most frequently used, I tried to block these outgoing marketing messages through the use of Windows internet controls. This worked fine with some of the newspapers that are the worst offenders (Hello there Boston Globe) but with WebMD it had the effect of disallowing my efforts to post new messages or respond to posts from others. Once I had figured this out I removed the blocks that I had set in place and then sent the test message to see whether I had been successful in diagnosing the problem.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to jkbond's response:
JK-

Which settings did you use? What version of Internet Explorer? (Our tech people need more info so they can replicate and hopefully eradicate this problem.)

I primarily use Firefox when surfing sites off of WebMD-it has an adblock add on that prevents the problem you describe without blocking functionality. (and my pages load faster because some ads cause slow performance of websites)

I understand your privacy concerns and know that advertisements can be incredibly troubling and annoying on one hand.On the other hand, those advertisements keep sites running and my salary paid. In that way, I have a love/hate relationship with them myself.

Do read our Privacy Policy about how we use non-identifying information and the third-party sites.

jkbond replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I Have Windows XP which was installed about three years ago. I don't know how to find out what version of Internet Explorer I have. Whatever would have been include with the system at that time. It was installed by a consultant so I don't know a lot about the details.

I'd be happy to provide more details about settings if you can tell me which ones you are looking for. However I doubt that any of my internet settings are the problem. What happened was that I added the names of several of the marketing-oriented web sites to Content Advisor asking that access to them be blocked.

I think that somewhere within the WebMD internet program an attempt is being made to send information to one of the blocked sites as I navigate through the code. Probably your site is programmed to wait for a response from the blocked site which it never receives since the connection was never made in the first place (blocked by Content Advisor). So I think that what you have is in the nature of a bug in your program in that this sort of response (no response from the other site) was never anticipated or planned for and the system just hangs.

I realize that web sites such as yours have to get revenue from advertisers to stay afloat. At the same time I try to avoid the advertisers as much as possible as I don't have a lot of confidence in the internet in general. As I understand the situation information about my viewing habits is being sent to these sites when they are accessed by your programs and anything could happen to it then.

jis4judy replied to jkbond's response:
Hi in internet explorer to find out what version you have just click on help at the top of the explorer window then from the drop down list kick "about internet explorer" that will tell you what version you are running
Judy:)

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.