Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
FINGERS GET NUMB WITH WALKING
An_198467 posted:
PLEASE HELP, I USUALLY WALK FOR EXERCISE, BUT MY FINGERS TEND TO SWELL AND GET NUMB, ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ON WHY THIS HAPPENS

pallzy responded:
How do you hold your arms while you're walking? I know if I let my arms just hang, I'll get that numb, tingly feeling in my hands. But, if I keep my arms bent at the elbow to 90 degrees and keep them moving, I don't. Worth a try.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

SUSANA40 replied to pallzy's response:
I have them hanging, I will try walking with my elbow bent, thanks for the suggestion.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
This is very common during exercise, particularly during walking, and especially so when it gets hot and humid. Fluid tends to accumulate in the extremities as the result of the arm swing and holding arms straight. It can be bad enough that people need to remove their rings before exercising. One solution is that every few minutes raise your hands over your head and clench and relax your hands. Some people will carry a squeeze ball which keeps the blood and other fluids flowing in and out of the hands. You can also hold your arms at 90 degrees and use a race-walk style arm swing.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.