Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Belly fat
goldn7 posted:
I am struggling to lose weight on my stomach. I've done cardio and do ab exercises consistenty and the weight on my stomach doesn't go away. I am gaining weight when I should be burning the weight. Its a difficult transition from having a flat stomach to having a flabby stomach. Does anyone have any helpful tips to lose the weight and tone my stomach?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
You're right to want to lose the excess fat on your belly. It's the unhealthiest place to have it. As for weight loss, to lose weight you must consume fewer calories than you burn no matter how much exercise you do. Even if you run a marathon every day you will not lose weight if you consume more calories than you burn. So if you're not losing then you are consuming more calories than you burn, even if you think you're not. In fact, research shows that people can under estimate their calorie intake by as much as 40% to 50%. As for ab exercises, they tome the muscle under the excess fat, but don't burn away fat. That is, you can't spot reduce. You don't say your height, weight, or waist circumference, or how long you've been trying, so I can't comment specifically, but my suggestion is to keep up with regular aerobic exercise 3-5 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes (that's enough, but you can go up to 45 minutes if you like), add interval training once you increase your stamina (unless you're already aerobically fit) and start resistance exercise 2-3 days per week, being sure to do large muscle group exercises like squats, deadlifts, side bends, and spinal twists, in addition to all the other muscle groups. Finally, patience is a virtue when losing the last bit of excess fat on your body.

goldn7 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for replying back. How much is the suggested daily calorie intake?. I am 5 9 155lbs and I have I have betw 3 to 4 inches of belly fat around my stomach if I pinch it. I have muscle underneath though- I'm trying to get rid of the belly fat before it gets out of hand..but it seems that whatever I'm doing(eating/exercise) doesn't have a noticeable effect-change.

pallzy replied to goldn7's response:
I would recommend you use the BMI plus calculator on this site. You enter your own information, age, height, weight, pant size, activity level and weight loss goals. It will give you how many calories to intake, a target heart rate and other useful info.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to goldn7's response:
Your current weight gives you a BMI of 22.9-well within your healthy range according to medical recommendations.

Try the Food and Fitness Planner for calorie recommendations for your goals-but instead of weight loss, I encourage you to read this tip on Ab Exercises and this one on Losing Belly Fat .

goldn7 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you pallzy and Louise! :) I will try what you recommended :D Hopefully the weight will decrease around my middle( stomach) soon.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Incorporating Exercise Routines in Any Weight Loss Attempt
f you're looking at the available choices for losing weight, you might well find that there are literally hundreds of diets and workouts ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.