Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Weight loss -young adult
ryowens posted:
I am a 23 year old male and have been a big guy my whole life. Medically I am considered obese but I have never felt that way. I am just under 5'10'' and currently weigh 235lbs. I have worked out in college and was able to maintain around 218. Now in the work force I have gained a lot and although this is not the biggest I have ever been i feel bigger than ever before. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning when a fitted dress shirt no longer fit me and my 38'' jeans were cutting me off and I realized something major needed to be done. So I turn to you, my WedMD community to help me out with advice. I have always wanted to start running again and finish a 5k maybe one day a half-marathon as well as start back on my weight training. For the most part I know what needs to be done for the exercise, it is the dieting that is difficult. I have already done one of the hardest things when it comes to dieting, given up sodas. I have been drinking water with 80% of all my meals for the past 3 years now as well as stopped drinking caffeine completely. This is what I think the only reason I was able to hold off massive weight gain in the past but now working in a cubicle half the time and traveling the other half I am starting to see me get out of hand. I really not sure what I am asking, I need to find a plan... Should I just count calories? should I mix my running training with my weight gain training? A general pace at which I should work out. How to eat better when I have to eat out on the job. Ideas for frequent, smaller meals eating in the office. should i just do those p90x or xtreme shows? My goal is be under 200 in 6months, i hope this is doable. Thanks in advance.

pallzy responded:
The one question I can answer for you. Eating at restaurants. I always look for a meat that is either baked, broiled or grilled. No fried or battered. I try to make sure my sides come with steamed vegetables and I avoid potatoes or pasta sides. Keep in mind most restaurants serve you enough for two meals. Some suggest getting a to-go box at the beginning of your meal and putting half of it away before you start to eat. I personally don't do that one, but it makes sense.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
I suggest that for the next week you write down every single morsel of food you eat, and every ounce of beverage with calories you drink. And I mean every single thing you put in your mouth. Weigh and measure everything. Buy a food scale and measuring cups if you don't have them. Estimate portion sizes when you eat out using something like a deck of cards or a measuring cup to compare objectively with. During this time go to the following site to figure out how many calories you are consuming:

www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-food-calorie-counter

Then go to http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator to determine your calorie needs, and for general nutrition and diet questions click here

http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange

Check out the following sites for training programs:

www.coolrunning.com/index.shtml

www.halhigdon.com

www.jeffgalloway.com/

www.runnersworld.com/home/ (Click on "training plans" in the left margin)

The cool running site has "The Couch-to-5K Running Plan" which is a great way to get started.

Take care,

Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.