Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Need help to lift grandchildren
jkbond posted:
The other day I tried to lift my grandson up and over my head to seat him on my shoulders and was surprised at how hard it was. I got him up there only with some difficulty and later had a hard time getting him off my shoulders and back on the floor again. Hard to believe how much my strength in that area has decreased due, I guess, to lack of use and a sedentary life style.

As far as I can tell I need to work on the deltoid muscles to help out with this and have tried out several of the machines at the YMCA. One was labelled "lateral raise" and says it exercises the deltoid and trapezius muscles. There is also a shoulder press machine which requires me to push a weight straight up.

Are there any other exercises that I should be considering? I'm not trying to bulk up necessarily but I do want to get in good enough condition that I don't drop the kid accidentally.

Tomato05 responded:
I would imagine a lifting action uses not only shoulder muscles, but a combination of shoulder/back/arm/leg/core muscles.

Maybe a balanced upper and lower body workout is the best, to develop and strengthen all the muscle groups, rather than focusing on one group only.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
I suggest if you do overhead presses that you do with them dumbbells. The child will not remain still when you lift him and dumbbells will work more on stabilizing muscles than a machine. All upper body exercises are going to help you. You need sshoulders and arms to lift, but also upper and lower back and abs to stabilize your torso. And then of course legs to steady you. I suggest a full body workout, including exercises that mimic the movements you do when you lift him. So if you lift him overhead then you need to do some overhead lifts like the presses, and the lateral raises and front raises will be helpful too. I suggest dumbbells for those exercises too. You could do deadlifts which would be great for stabilizing your torso and strengthening all back muscles,a nd squats as well. Have a trainer at your gym evaluate your needs and set up a training plan for you. The trainer will know which exercises are safe once he or she sees your physique, evaluates you for weaknesses and strengths, and sees how skilled you are at the various movements.

jkbond replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for the suggestions. It's easy to forget that all these things are connected and you have to do more than try to deal with one specific problem in isolation from the rest.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to jkbond's response:
You're welcome

cfrye replied to Tomato05's response:
I agree. I found this great new product (GetaGrip) that works out the hands and arms. As I get older, not only do I need to work out the large muscles to lift better, but my arms and hands need attention too. This video convinced me (it's endorsed by the head of the National Hand Institute at an Arnold Palmer sports institute). I haven't had it for long, but the GetaGrip is really helping my arm strength. I'm looking forward to seeing if it improves my golf game too

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Quality sleep begets well-being and health
When a person is deprived of good sleep, or if sleep is disruptive or disordered, the person's mood, cognition and physical functioning ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.