Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Walking
genniewells posted:
I and overweight and have back problems I can't start out doing very strenous excercise but I have start walking on the treadmill everyday for a little over a mile each day at 2.0 miles per hour do you think this will help me especially if I change my diet and lower my calorie intake?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Gennie,
That sounds like a good plan. The important thing will be to change your diet and lower calorie intake. As long as your doctor hasn't said that walking will aggravate the back problems-it sounds like a good start. Join one of our diet clubs and learn to lose the weight for good--in baby steps that don't require you to cut everything you love to eat out of your life at once.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Any exercise that you can do safely and without pain will help. The idea now is to start to make the behavior change more permanent, and so anything you do will help. It also will burn calories, strengthen your legs, and improve your stamina. There's no need to push since if you reduce your calorie intake you will start to lose weight, in fact you'd lose weight whether you exercise or not by reducing your calories. So you're on track, and as Louise suggests, check out the diet clubs.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 57 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.